Aircon system Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Aircon system « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 18:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning all - after a several-month delay, I have finally fitted a new compressor and a receiver/drier to Echo, my 1984 Spirit. The compressor (Omega) is new and filled with 125PAG oil. The receiver is empty. I have not turned the compressor over as yet. My question is - what do I do now? She's booked in for a system re-gas next Wednesday - should I warm the engine through to a steady idle, and then turn on the compressor for a few seconds to distribute the oil through it? Or leave it alone until the system has been re-gassed? I have explained to the re-gas station that it's a new compressor and receiver, and they said no problem, so I hope they know what they're doing ... thanks for any advice ...

Rod
'84 Spirit

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 18:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do not run the compressor with no gas in it.

Ideally the lines and matrices should be flushed to remove the old oil.

They will need to add some more oil to the system to make sure that there is sufficient in the receiver and other components. Some oil travels with the liguid gas so there will not normally be enough in the compressor for the whole system.

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 19:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul - that answers my immediate query about running the compressor or not! Not! As to the rest, I'll emphasise to the re-gas station that the compressor and receiver are new - that didn't seem to bother them, so I hope they'll do the necessary with the oil as well.

Rod
'84 Spirit

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 06:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod
I'm sure there is a switch that prevents the compressor clutch engaging without enough gas pressure ok
Mike

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Mike - that seems very likely, on reflection! At the moment I haven't re-connected the power supply to the compressor, but I think I'll do that this weekend - to turn it on requires a deliberate action on a switch that can't be accidentally knocked on by mistake ... paranoia or what?

Keep well ...

Rod
'84 Spirit

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod, no paranoia. . How much trouble is it to leave the wire disconnected? How much trouble if the compressor is run empty. Sounds like a sure bet really :-)

There should be a low pressure cut out but you never know what somebody may have done before you. Wire to a switch on the rear of the compressor which shorts a thermal fuse which has to overheat to turn the compressor off (eventually).

The wiper switch and air con switch feel identical. I drive many different year cars and often switch the wrong one on.

You must turn the compressor over by hand quite a few times. They are supposed to be shipped the right way up. However this rarely happens. Oil can get above the pistons and can form a hydraulic lock damaging con rods and bearings when first powered up.

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 18:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

'Morning Paul! ... now he tells me! The compressor is fitted to the car, and to turn it by hand will have to be un-fitted! But without power to the clutch, how do you turn it? Must you power the clutch up? I know the unit's been sitting on my bench the right way up since mid-August, so hoping that any oil will have drained down again - it would be easier if they supplied the oil separately! Or no oil at all so you knew where you were. Anyway, I'll ask the re-gas people to engage the compressor for a very short time first time around - say one second, literally on - off, to see what happens ... hopefully nothing dramatic.
The switch on Echo is handy for the left hand, whereas the (identical) wiper switch is very right hand placed, just beneath the ignition lock. The lights switch is the same type as well, but that's above the ignition lock. There's a limit to what I can explain in French to the re-gas people, you see, so thought it better to re-connect the unit myself before taking her in. And be vigilant! Maybe they'd let me stay with the car when they're ready to fire up? Worth asking ... !

Stay well

Rod
'84 Spirit

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 22:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi rod (posting again as last post lost again WHY???)
Rod you can turn the compressor by hand (without the engine running)
Just turn the front part of the clutch ok
Mike

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, 10 January, 2016 - 02:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mike - I couldn't budge anything before it was fitted, but now it's (very!) firmly mounted I'll be able to apply more torque - slacken the belts first! I'll give it a go tomorrow ...

Interested in your headlights - mine are OK, but what drives me mad is the dimness of the dash panel lights. I have to stir my stumps to getting the panel off so I can check what type of led bulbs I'll need to replace them.

Stay well

Rod
'84 Spirit

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, 10 January, 2016 - 03:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod
No need to slacken the belts , the belt is disengaged buy the clutch ok
Just hand pressure should be enough ok.
Just turn the front of the compressor .
I agree with you on instrument lights, what makes me laugh is they fit a dimmer haha
Cheers
Mike

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Sunday, 10 January, 2016 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod

I had the same problem regards dim dash panel lights on my 74 SY1. I can really recommend changing over to LEDs. I bought my replacements from Ledlight.com. Good prices and good delivery time.

https://www.ledlight.com/

There are two types of bulb on the SS, the E5 midget and as I recall the E10. All sizes are cataloged so it's just a case of comparing the measurements.

On my car, since the little blue condoms on the E5 bulbs had gone opaque with age, I used enamel paint to colour them correctly. Worked great. The gauges have inbuilt blue filters.

Being LEDs I did of course lose the half/full brightness facility, but that was no loss, as even on full I could barely read the gauges.

I can certainly recommend the above company.

Geoff

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, 10 January, 2016 - 18:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Geoff, and thanks - I've been thinking around these dash lights for some time, but it's one of those things you never get round to, due in part to a funk about removing the beautifully finished dash-panel! I imagine it's merely a case of removing the visible screws? I am also a bit deterred by the variety of led bulbs offered - which is the right one? Must screw up my courage ...

Stay well

Rod
'84 Spirit

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2016 - 02:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With regard to the new compressor, I have been out there to turn it over by hand so that the 125PAG oil it's filled with is distributed around the compressor itself. Initially stiff to turn, once it moved it was fairly easy - I put on a pair of leather gloves and turned it over 20 revolutions, which should do the trick. So thanks Mike!

Rod
'84 Spirit

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2016 - 03:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod, be careful with the dash. The visible screws come out also there are screws under the black padded roll under the dash.These only need to be loosened enough to clear the centre console.

Regards, Nigel

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, 11 January, 2016 - 03:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Nigel, and Yikes! Also Aarrggh! There had to be a catch! How does one get under the padded roll, please? Does it just pull off (carefully!) or is there a secret ritual to go through? Thanks!

Rod
'84 Spirit

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, 20 January, 2016 - 22:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An update on the aircon system - the new compressor and receiver were fitted and I turned the compressor over by hand - easier than I had expected (thanks Mike!), and delivered Echo into the hands of the re-charge station, who did a faultless job for €82. Everything now works as it should, including demist/defrost. All my worries and fears proved to be unfounded, so thanks to everyone who helped me Get The Job Done!

Stay well, one and all ...

Rod
'84 Spirit

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User
Username: ed_mckinley

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, 13 August, 2017 - 03:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Aircon on my 89 corniche cools quite well. however, there is a slight whining noise at about 1500 rpm. it seems to go away over and under this rpm. it sounds exactly like a whining power steering pump. I've identified it as the compressor as it goes away with the ac off. Is this a sign of a clutch bearing or typical noise of the compressor?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Wednesday, 16 August, 2017 - 05:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Edward,
No it is not a typical noise if it is only present at a set speed.
Have you changed your belts recently? if so maybe the change in tension may be the cause. If not, check the tension to see if it is correct.
Have you topped up the air con gas recently? if so when and how many top ups without the addition of oil? (ie pure top ups not a vacuum and full recharge)

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, 24 August, 2017 - 13:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The belts are new and the compressor has been recharged about every two'years with r134.

I was wondering if it could possibly be the belts.

Is there a protocol,to,changing the belts? Which to tighten first? How tight?

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, 03 September, 2017 - 22:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found the issue. Simple re-adjusting and tightening of the belts and the sound has disappeared.

Every once in a while you get lucky!

Nigel Coombe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 17:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi have an 88 Spirit and the air cond fans run slowly probably due to only 8 volts at fan on high speed and should be 12v .All speeds work but not enough output.Got a replacement S/H Spectrol fan speed resistor module from Flying spares in UK but same result would like another one I know is good to test in mine.Have checked all earths and A/C is cold. .Would happy just to work on high.Would love any suggestions on how people have solved this problem.
Regards Nigel

(Message approved by david_gore)

Nigel Coombe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2017 - 17:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I have been lucky with my slow A/C fans on my 88 Spirit .An electronics expert friend of mine thought the low voltage at the fans was due to internal faults in the relays .There are relays for 1 2 3 4 speeds plus overall relay next to LH shocker tower.The relays all clicked and worked so thought they were working but my expert said when he tested each the internal contacts were faulty and he could measure the voltage drop at each relay .He replaced the worst relay with another second hand one and the fans were now satisfactory but his advice was to replace all 5 relays and will be perfect so have ordered them. The new Bosch number is 0332209152 to replace old 0332204122.This can also be a reason for slow windows he said .

Nigel Stubbs Coombe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 26 October, 2017 - 21:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The 5 new 0332209152 relays arrived form the UK from ebay and fitted then all and now A/C fans are perfect and powerful .Wonder what other relays are operating below maximum I should replace. Electric windows all quick. Hope I can join forum soon.

Nigel Coombe
Yet to post message
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 27 October, 2017 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A member who did not have any A/C fans sent me an email question and I thought I would share my answer with all.

Yours may be different to my 89 but may be the same. My relays are under the hood/bonnet in the LH rear corner just behind the LH shock absorber tower and they are marked on a small vertical black metal plate next to them.

There are 4 in a row and are marked 1 2 3 4 ACU fan speed which is for the fan speeds and directly behind the fan speed 1 relay is the relay for ACU fan speed control which is overall relay and could be faulty and they are all interchangeable as same number.

Your other possible problem is the Fan Speed Resistor Module which is made by Spectrol and this name written on top and is just behind relays attached to the bulk head and this controls the volts to the fans; 12v high speed and 6 volts low speed. This is the more expensive item but is easy to change just plug in and is attached by two small bolts with easy access.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask - can even send a photo.

The relays are the same as those under the dash original number 0332204122 and the new Bosch number is 0332209152.

Of course the next possible problem is the main fan switch but not so likely.

Regards
Nigel

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, 28 October, 2017 - 00:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glad you joined the forum, Nigel. Welcome.

Nigel Coombe
New User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark .Had another request on oil filters for later Shadow and Spirit. perhaps should post this as well .These are the cross reference numbers for V8 canister disposable oil filter for later Shadow 2 Spirit and derivatives up to 1998 and same as for Jaguar late series 3 and XJ40.
Cross References for these cars.

Cross References for this part:

AC X102 AC X62
ALCO SP890 ALCO SP950
BOSCH 0451103278 BOSCH P3278
CHAMPION A101 COOPERS Z509A
CROSLAND 2160 CROSLAND 343
DELPHI FX0039 FILTRON OP654
FRAM PH2931 FRAM PH2995
FRAM PH2995A GUD AZL055A
JAGUAR C42797 KNECHT-MAHLE OC238
KNECHT-MAHLE OC50 MANN & HUMMEL W930/13
MOTAQUIP VFL258 PBR BC1223
POWERTRAIN PMFL189 POWERTRAIN PMFL57
POWERTRAIN PMFL98 PUROLATOR L30255
QH QOF2086 QH QOF5407
RYKO Z113 RYKO Z133
TECNOCAR R26 TJ FB2086
TJ FB5407 UFI 23.225.00
UNIPART GFE154 UNIPART GFE162
UNIPART GFE317

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: