Bertie earns his wings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Bertie earns his wings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2015 - 00:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lamenting the the lack of entries in my club cars log books I decided to do something about it.

My recently recommisioned Turbo R needed a run so how about Melbourne to Sydney and return for the weekend. I have just done 950kms in 9 1/2 hours sitting with the cruise on 110 all the way and feel reasonably fresh. I just crunched the numbers. 1908 kms in two days using 269l fuel. I am a bit tired but I make that 14L per 100kms which I think is pretty good! What a machine!

bertie

Bertie At the NSW concourse in Guildford 10 hours ago now safely in bed on the Mornington Peninsula VIC.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2015 - 01:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark I must say that Bertie looks fantastic jut check that he hasn't picked up any female car company on the way to Mornington. Perhaps you could enlighten us on some of the rest of the cars at the event cheers.

Richard.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2015 - 02:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark

That's 20.17 miles to the (imperial) gallon in real money, at a steady 68.35 mph. Very impressive. Beautiful car.

Geoff

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2015 - 11:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

c1

c2

c3

A stunning PII chassis presented as new

c4

c6

c7

c8

c9

c10

A rare Bentley Corniche

c11

c12

'Christopher' Chassis 1492

c13

c14

A much (internationally) travelled Ghost

c15

One of the very earliest 20 HP

c16

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2015 - 19:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark (again last post got lost again )
Great looking car and a great road trip.
I'll look out for you when I'm in sydney and melbourne.
Mike

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2015 - 19:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark Thanks for the photos very interesting.

Richard.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 676
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2015 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The rolling chassis. It would be good if one could just fix a seat to it and use as is. It seems a shame to cover it all with body work. I notice a box behind the steering wheel.

Make a 4 seater open top touring car.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2015 - 15:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,
The owner is also reluctant to cover it up and it will stay unclothed for the foreseeable future. If it was to wear a body it would be done to original spec. The Chassis was driven around on the day and the owner has driven it in top gear as is!

Christian S. Hansen
Frequent User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2015 - 15:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would have spent the entire day drooling over and oogling that chassis. Here is what it would look like in its formal full dress attire. Shall I advise the Trouville owner to check his garage to see if something might be missing?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 678
Posted on Wednesday, 11 November, 2015 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I want a rolling chassis for Christmas.

How about a simple tub with 2 seats and cycle guards no bonnet. A simple hot rod body. No roof folding or otherwise. No doors. The roling chassis is not that heavy so a lightweight minimal body that keeps the fuzz happy would make this car quite fast.

Hinge the body at the rear so every body can gaze at the chassis. Or 2 bolts and lift the tub off.

I like the battery box. I like every thing I see.

Any chance of more photos. This should be on the main site with a special bit on its own. So when I get down I can look at the photos.

How much does it weigh.

Check out local hot rodders they might have a glass fibre tub going cheap. Then once the chassis had been throughly road tested, think about a proper body.

Mad idea.

Carl Heydon
Frequent User
Username: car

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, 11 November, 2015 - 19:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Last year I reassembled Mk VI B229FU after it was dismantled in 1977 and left in the rain for 15 years.
We drove it some kilometers as a chassis in the paddock to assess its needs. I hated putting the body on (from B27AJ)

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 681
Posted on Thursday, 12 November, 2015 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A common site in Southall Middx. Now part of London. Middlesex was a county but now gone.

Was rolling bus and truck chassis being driven from AEC at Southall to Park Royal Vehicles for the body. Also Bristol car bodies were made there. Just down the road was MPW. Also not far was CAV.

The drivers wore flat caps goggles and brown rain coats. The chassis had mudguards made from hardboard and had to use a set route.

I worked for CAV, AEC and Park Royal Vehicles.

There's something attractive about a rolling chassis. I think it's the same as a steam locomotive. The bits are on show so one can obviously see how it works.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Thursday, 12 November, 2015 - 07:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Carl,

Your photo has to be one of the all-time R-R classics especially the body strengthening to minimise flexing.

It is a worthy addition to the stories of Australian graziers in the 1950's using their R-R vehicles to carry sheep around their properties when wool was bringing "a pound[money] for a pound[wool]".

P.S. Where did the seats come from?? What happened to the traditional wooden box seat?

Carl Heydon
Frequent User
Username: car

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, 12 November, 2015 - 17:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The image is enhanced by my Father at the wheel.The string was essential and very effective, stabilizing the radiator and firewall.
The seats were from a BMW sports I believe. I inherited them with a parts 'T' (SBH4346) that I have started to use for a T Special. Space frame to hold the sub frames together. I have been tempted to go the fiberglass tub and build a T Bucket. The P.O. cut out the spring towers, chucked em in the skip and fitted giant air bag shocks!

Loved the MK VI as a chassis but the fateful day arrived.

Sorry about the thread drift.
Carl