Door Operated Interior Lamps Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Door Operated Interior Lamps « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, 02 December, 2004 - 22:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is there anyone out there whose driver's door does not turn on the interior lamps when opened ?

The driver's door on these cars operates the lamp delay relay through a diode, unlike the other three doors which are wired direct to the relay.

I have just repaired my own, and have seen and repaired it before on other SZs. The diode failed last night, and the lamps would not come on with the driver's door open or using remote unlocking. The other three doors worked correctly.

If you know where to look (behind the fuse panel on the diode board, topmost diode in the centre column of diodes), the repair is very easy and a diode costs a few cents. For those without a manual, a repair would be almost impossible. I wonder how many door switches have been replaced in vain.

Gordon Norris
Experienced User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 11:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,
Just for completeness, what are the diode specifications used on the diode board?...eg/ 1N4004 or 1N4007 I would guess would be suitable to stop back EMF?

GN.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 580
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 21:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon,

Any 1N4000-series diode is fine (1N4001, 1N4004 or 1N4007 for example), whichever you have on hand or can find easily. They cost a few cents each.

The last digit is the code for the maximum voltage rating. A 1N4007 is good for 1,000V. They are all at least good for 400V. As the system is nominally 12V, any of these diodes is perfectly suitable.

RT.

Gordon Norris
Experienced User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 21:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard. That's what I thought. I mentioned 1N4004 and 1N4007 as they are readily available at any Jaycar store in Australia either individually, or in packs of 100 for between $5 and $8. ie/ 5 to 8 cents each. I can imagine what Crewe would charge: an upgraded capacitor for the Driver Information Display costs 18 CENTS at Jaycar; from Crewe: A$28.00 YEP 28 DOLLARS!!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 581
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 23:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon,

I am sure that Crewe will only sell you a diode board, probably for $300 or so, and not individual diodes.

That's one reason why I posted this.

Window microswitches cost $120 from Crewe or $1.10 at an electronics shop: same story.

For most parts, Crewe makes sense. For some it's crazy to consider them.

RT.