Oxygen Sensor Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Oxygen Sensor « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Hart
Experienced User
Username: bill_hart

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, 30 October, 2015 - 11:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My research indicates that my 1995 Turbo R (built in 10/94)has only one oxygen sensor. That's the good news. The bad news is that the dealer sells them for $160 each. To buy a more affordable aftermarket version I need to know how many wires are on the OEM sensor. Does anyone have that information? All replies appreciated.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Grand Master
Username: lluís

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, 30 October, 2015 - 19:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bosch 0258003238 is just 77€ (1/3... of the Bentley price).

I am extremely busy now too look at the forum, but keep it up guys ;-)

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 652
Posted on Saturday, 31 October, 2015 - 06:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Simples look at the exsisting sensor.

Probably 4 wires 2 sensor and 2 heater wires.

Bill Hart
Experienced User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, 01 November, 2015 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,
I looked under the car and couldn't find the sensor. From the top down everything is hidden by the engine covers. If I took them off would the sensor be visible from above?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 659
Posted on Sunday, 01 November, 2015 - 10:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The sensor will be under thr car between engine and catalytic convertor near to the engine as possible.
The engine has two banks so where the two exhausts meet is the favoured place.

Some makers fit 2 sensors one for each bank. Check the exhaust down pipes.

Also note that some makers also fit a secondary sensor after the catalytic convertor which is used for comparision of gases before and after the catalytic converter. However this is a relatively late idea which I don't think your is so fitted.

If you unsure get a mobile mechanic to show and explain the ins and outs of sensor changing.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Grand Master
Username: lluís

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, 02 November, 2015 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

Again shortly: it's in the intake elbow to the cat, right hand side. After the turbo of course. You cannot miss it. Easy access from below.

Bill Hart
Experienced User

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, 12 November, 2015 - 08:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found out some interesting things about the oxygen sensor on a 1995 Turbo R. It seems that the '95 and '96 cars were advertised as the "new" Turbo R and that those models had a different, not Bosch, engine management system (zeitec?). The only place I was able to find the correct sensor was from the dealer. Bummer! Five times the aftermarket price for the part.
I wasn't able to locate the sensor on the car, even with the car up on a lift. Finally gave up and took it to a mechanic, and he had to look for about 15 minutes before he found it. I was not allowed in the shop and didn't talk to the mechanic, but from a distance it appeared to be on the crossover exhaust pipe at the front of the engine. Very difficult access. Not a job for the ordinary home mechanic, but only about 1 hour shop labor.
After installation, "check engine" light still displayed and they couldn't find a way to extinguish it. Fortunately, after about 1/2 mile of driving it extinguished itself. I guess that's the way it is supposed to work.
Before replacing the faulty sensor the car misbehaved: uncertain shifts, intermittent rough idle, hesitant throttle response, erratic tachometer. After replacement, all is well. Smooth as silk.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 394
Posted on Thursday, 19 November, 2015 - 02:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill that's great news it is always nice to let others know that a fix has been achieved.

Richard.