Solex Carburettor Alternatives?? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Solex Carburettor Alternatives?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Philip Sproston
Experienced User
Username: phil2025

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, 17 September, 2015 - 18:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Turbo carburettor problem Solex 4A1 needs replacing.

Has anyone seen an after market EFI system

michael vass
Experienced User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, 18 September, 2015 - 17:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Philip
Why does it need replacing?
I've never seen or heard of an aftermarket system for these engines.
Could you get a standard efi system from a breaker?
I did strip my 4A1 down once not too complicated.
Cheers
Mike

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, 20 September, 2015 - 02:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There was an typed official "factory" instruction sheets written in early '80's by a guy called Jeff Cowell to overcome dealer issues with starting/running/setting up these carbs. Loaned mine to someone, will try and get it back and copy. this will take week or so as I am on hol. from tomorrow

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 522
Posted on Sunday, 20 September, 2015 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The carb lives in a box that is pressurised. If the carb was not isolated from atmospheric oressure the turbo would blow the petrol out of the car.

I don't like this system.

EFI is always going to work better.

A company called Mega Squirt makes retro EFI systems that are Bosch based. Their ECU will work a Crewe injection manifold. The ecu has USB and is programmed with a lap top. Programme comes with ECU. For thoae brave enough the ecu is available in kit form and you build it yourself.

However this is major work and good workshop facilities will be needed.

A single injector would also work and single point injection is better than you would think.

The carb in a box idea was also used on the early turbo engines such as the mini metro turbo. The metro had a sealed SU carb with the float bowl breather connected to the turbo pressure. Also a fuel pressure regulator sensed the turbo pressure. It wasnt very good and often gave trouble.

An alternative to the unavailable Solex is the Holley 4 barrel. Which could be adapted to fit.

First though I would carefully check the sealing of the box and also the carb flange. Its not unknown for stuff to be overtightened thus bending stuff and causing leaks. This system must not leak else the engine runs indifferently and is prone to stalling at lights etc in other words a right PITA plus the mpg will be high. This system can be made to run properly with careful setting up.

Check fuel pressure with a gauge. The fuel pressure is important. It changes with the amount of turbo boost.
For the fuel to get into the carb the pressure must be more than the boost pressure. But if too high the carb will flood. Just like normal carbs the fuel pressure us about 2 to 5 psi above atmospheric pressure. Blow through turbo carbs require the same amount above boost pressure. Because boost pressure is changing therefore the fuel pressure has to change. This is where the metro turbo used to go wrong.

Philip Sproston
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, 21 September, 2015 - 10:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon - thanks, it would be interesting to see the instruction sheets when you get them back.

Why I ask the initial question was that I am having major problems with these carbys in Australia due to the heat. They are warping, floats are failing, needle jets dropping in housing, etc. The Mercedes Benz website has a lot of information about the carby problems and one comment was "we haven't heard much from Bentley owners". The cost of buying a brand new carby is nearly double that of an aftermarket EFI system from the States. We are looking into whether these systems will fit as an alternative for the Bentley I am working on. Fuel in Australia, we have been told, is not designed for carburettors anymore - that's why we are not using standard ignition systems either. We are chasing up one other car that we have heard of that has done the carby conversion and are awaiting feedback.

Mike - 6 of the major Rolls Royce repairers in Australia have said "run, don't walk" from this Solex carburettor. I am now the 5th person to look at this particular car so the vehicle's owner and myself are keen to look outside the box. This is why I am asking the question to a global audience. My family have been repairing Rolls' since 1926 so I am keen to solve this conundrum.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, 21 September, 2015 - 22:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Philip pressure pot turbos in the UK are cheap , largely due to the problems you are encountering. My son and I have considered several, but run scared. A lot of car for little money but ?????
Very interested in the outcome of your research.
We are currently playing with programmable ignition on a BMC A seies engine (Accuspark) with a view to using this on my S1 and probably V8's to remap the advance curve for modern fuels. So far very impressed.
Mark

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2015 - 08:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Philip, I'm still trying to find a customer who will let me fit EFI. It really does seem to be the way forward on the Turbo and Nat Asp cars.

The Solex carbs were a RPITA on the Nat Asp cars from new really. Why they thought putting it into a pressure cooker was a good idea is beyond me.

The EFI kits these days seem much simpler but control much better than the one I fitted about 25 years ago. That was to an Interceptor though. Single port with only throttle opening varying fuel supplied.

The newer kits Seem an affordable option. I've done a few Solex to SU conversions on Corniche and Camargue carbs. MG used to use SU's on their early Turbo cars . . . . But I wouldn't fancy taking that route ;)

This was one I was considering earlier this year.

Fast 30227-KIT EZ-EFIŽ Carb Self Tuning Fuel Injection System.

And I was told . . . It would have to be a square bore flange for a 4150 or 4160 style carb.

Hope this info helps, but I can't guarantee it's correct.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2015 - 09:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

This kit is made by Fuel Air Spark Technology in Memphis, TN. I just dropped them an e-mail via their website inquiring whether they knew if anyone had fitted one of their systems to a Shadow series car or early Turbo R that came equipped with a Solex.

It will be interesting to see if they have someone who's done this, and I'd suspect if it has been done there would have been assistance from their technical support.

Prior to you mentioning this company the only aftermarket system I was in any way familiar with was MegaSquirt. Their systems do not seem to be nearly as DIY friendly, or even professional mechanic friendly, as the EZ-EFI systems would appear to be.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2015 - 10:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have read up stuff about this system and the more I read the worse it got.

A single point throttle body system would work fine and is simpler than pressure box crab.

Judging with what I read the value of the car may improve.

In general companies in this sort of market place want their products to work properly and give lots of after sales free help.

Send them full technical details of your engine and turbo set up.

Philip Sproston
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2015 - 20:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian Fuel air spark technology web site can not use on a turbo. Going to look at MSD efi system.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2015 - 23:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Philip,

I had not bothered to review their FAQ, but should have, as it clearly states that their systems aren't for turbo applications.

I'll still be curious to see if I get a response about whether their system has been fitted to any car from Crewe.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Friday, 25 September, 2015 - 07:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Question: Has EZ-EFI been fitted to a Rolls-Royce Shadow or early Bentley Turbo R that used a Solex carb?

Answer: Hello Brian,
I don't have anyone that has done that before.

Our EZ systems aren't compatible with boost.

Philip Sproston
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 14:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fix the solex 4a1 replaced with a FITEC Fuel injection system the only one to fit a turbo it works more info to come.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 17:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds good, what is the max pressure that the unit can handle?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Wednesday, 31 May, 2017 - 09:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://www.carid.com/fast/xfi-sportsman-blow-through-supercharger-efi-system-mpn-303001bt.html?singleid=142147778
=142147778}

Philip Sproston
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, 04 June, 2017 - 11:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://fitechefi.com/products/30004/

Thanks for info Paul. This FITECH unit is working really well, easy starting, good idle and loads of power on this turbo R. Corniche model could use the non turbo version. This should answer Patrick's query

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Sunday, 04 June, 2017 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brilliant news!!

:-)

Maybe I'll try an old Solex manifold on my shadow. ;)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Monday, 05 June, 2017 - 05:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, Philip, sounds good, will the Shadow bottom end, mains etc stand the strain, loading?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Monday, 05 June, 2017 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick,

Should not really be any / much extra loading.

Always drive without screaming the nuts off these old girls. Big slow V8s with lots of torque low down. No need to push it up the rev range .

Luke Brown
Yet to post message
Username: browndog

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 19 July, 2019 - 23:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,
Old thread I know. Does anyone have a 4 barrel manifold in Aus as I will be replacing SU with Holley fuel injection and need a 4bbl manifold for my Spirit.

Thanks,
Luke.

Philip Sproston
New User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, 20 July, 2019 - 09:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Luke give us a call phil 0418266631.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: