Aircon system Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Aircon system « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, 20 August, 2015 - 19:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello - I have been pursuing the fitting of a new aircon compressor to my 1984 Spirit (thank you Mark and Robert, Lluis and Brian too), and I now have an Omega new replacement for the original Harrison A6. BUT ...

My mechanic friend and I usually do the work ourselves, but I have a dilemma. We obviously don't have the equipment to re-charge the system after fitting the new compressor, so we'd have to take it to a re-charge station - but will they know the procedure when a new compressor is involved? I don't have the benefit of Rolls Royce familiar stations here in France, and I don't want to have the new compressor damaged by just starting it up after re-charging.

The compressor is filled with 10oz of 125 PAG oil, which seems a lot, and I have read that one should measure the oil taken out of the old compressor, and only put that much into the new one. And that the new one should be turned by hand 15 or 20 revolutions to ensure the oil is evenly distributed throughout the compressor, before engaging the clutch, and that it should run at idle speed for 3 minutes. Well, I can't budge it, let alone turn it 20 times! So is that right?

If I let the re-charge station fit the new compressor, would they know about all this stuff? I presume it's not just Rolls Royce that requires this procedure? I'm at sixes and sevens over this!

What advice can anyone offer, please? I guess I'm not the first guy to fit a new compressor, and wonder how others went about it. Thanks!

Rod
'84 Spirit

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Grand Master
Username: lluís

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, 20 August, 2015 - 22:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The system is our cars is in as far as I know dead conventional for any high end car with airco.

I got mine done and the only particularity was that the system was pumped dry (vacuumed) during 24 hours before filling it with whatever the shop had which was compatible with R134.

The oil question puzzles me, I got in my Sandem the standard bottle by Bentley (bought from Flyingspares) and forgot about it. That must have been 7000Km ago with much summer use without complaint and excellent cooling.

Best regards,

Lluís

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Grand Master

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, 20 August, 2015 - 22:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PS: Hi-End because of the multiflap multi position all auto functions, but the compressor and heat exchange side is, well dead conventional.

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, 20 August, 2015 - 23:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Lluis! Makes me wonder if all this hand turning etc: is hype, belt and braces stuff. I note the total evacuation and leave for 24 hours - I guess that's standard practice with new compressors (and new receiver/drier too) - and should therefore be done by a re-charge station? Has anyone actually fitted a new compressor themselves? I confess to being nervous about it!

The replacement refrigerant seems likely to be Dupont's 'Isceon 49', which I am told is compatible with PAG oil and R134a - it's also known as R413. All unknown country to me, so a steep learning curve.

Rod
,84 Spirit

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Grand Master

Post Number: 398
Posted on Friday, 21 August, 2015 - 00:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

More or less.

When doing my top of engine the old sandem was taken out, oil emptied and the system emptied, so I guess that fitting a new one is similar.

I do note the need for new o-rings. The hand turning cannot hurt.