Viscous fan coupling Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Viscous fan coupling « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim Maslin
New User
Username: timspirit

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 01 August, 2015 - 10:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 1981 Silver Spirit. Can anyone please confirm that the viscous fan coupling is the same as in a V12 Jaguar? Many thanks

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Saturday, 01 August, 2015 - 12:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tim,

Download the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation and search for "Fan Clutch SZ Series".

I think the numbers I've documented will fit your car, but make certain that the Crewe UE43652 is the OEM clutch for your car to be sure.

Brian

Tim Maslin
New User
Username: timspirit

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 03 August, 2015 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian. Do you, or anyone else, know if that is the same as Jaguar? My mechanic assures me that it is but you can never be too careful and so I am looking for reassurance.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Monday, 03 August, 2015 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tim,

I can't answer that because most fan clutches have applications across at least several makes and models and quite a few of them are used on dozens of makes and models, literally. In addition, and this is what makes it fun, since RR had so few cars made for any given model and always assigned their own part numbers to *everything* almost no aftermarket cross references include RR or Bentley for various parts that are 100% plug and play replacements (or even those that are "close enough for government work").

Also, without your chassis number I don't know which fan clutch your car uses. The earlier Spirit/Spur and derivatives used viscous fan clutch UE40167 with the fan riding in front of the clutch, the "vast middle" of production used UE43652 with the fan bolted to the back side of the clutch, and the 20K series cars used a UE46144, and there are differing setups within some of the cars within a given chassis number series depending on their original delivery market.

Your best bet is to look at Chapter L in the spare parts manual, find the actual Crewe part number for the viscous fan clutch on your car, and see if the one your mechanic proposes is, at a minimum, a visual match with mounting holes where they need to be to attach the fan as it's currently attached.

Sorry I can't be of any further help.

Brian

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, 03 August, 2015 - 15:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If your mechanic is so sure, and gets you a clutch that fits a jaguar, and it works flawlessly - please post the part number on the box before the mechanic throws it away.

Thanks,

- Larry