Spirit wheel trims Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Spirit wheel trims « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2015 - 22:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good day. I have a 1984 Spirit (ECH 09680), on which the wheel trims have a body-colour disc around the hub-caps. They are not one-piece, as I had thought, and on the RH front wheel the disc has come loose on one side. It is held in place by the fixing on the other side. Can anyone tell me what I can do about this, please? I don't want to start trying to pull things off in case of doing further damage.

Thank you and stay well

Rod Waite
'84 Spirit

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 754
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2015 - 00:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod

I had this problem on one of my wheel trims. The painted disc has 5 lugs that push through locating holes on the wheel trim, and is held in place by spring clips. On the one trim, there were just two clips holding the painted disc. It was loose. I searched all over the place for some replacement clips but for various reasons found them to be unsuitable. In the end, I removed the painted disc from the wheel trim by carefully prising the remaining two clips off. I then very carefully ran a die down the lugs on the painted disc and fitted large washers and nyloc nuts. No apologies for overusing the word carefully.

Maybe someone on the forum knows of a supplier or good substitute for these clips.

It's probably risky to use the car with a loose painted disk as the constant vibration from wheel's movement will eventually cause all the clips to fall off. One thing's for certain, don't risk losing it. Big $$$$.

Pic follows

trim

Best Regards

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2015 - 00:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod,

Are the "beauty rings" held on via short posts and fasteners that look like pressed metal nuts, like those on the SY series cars?:

SRH33576 Hubcap Reverse

If so, I believe these screw off (it's been a while since I looked at them closely) and I know that replacements for the SY cars can still be obtained.

Brian

P.S. to Geoff: Although I wouldn't be happy were a beauty ring to come off, at least having one fabricated is pretty straightforward. Loosing one of the wheel covers as a whole, though, is a very expensive proposition as far as replacements these days.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 755
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2015 - 00:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian and Rod

I realize my solution is of the "sledgehammer to crack a nut" type, but our responses will serve to show how the beauty trim is affixed. I found that Crewe have done a good job with the lugs. They are robust and will easily stand prizing/screwing off them. The clips used on my trims look like large washers, rather than nuts, hence the reference to prizing rather than screwing.

Geoff

Michael Evans
New User
Username: mikeyev60

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2015 - 01:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all! The proper name for them is "Starlock Push On Fasteners". To be even more pedantic they are the "Starlock® Push On Fasteners for Imperial Round Shafts" and they are easily available from Flying Spares. I found the best why to take them off was to release the grip a little with a blunt screwdriver, and then very gently using a pair of pliers (with only just enough pressure to hold on) rotate them back and forward whilst pulling up - that way they came off the post complete and un-distorted. Fitting them back on I used a socket that's outside diameter was the same as the washer to press it down onto the post, then another socket just larger than the post to press the centre of the starlock down - that way I got them to take a really tight grip on the post drawing the beauty ring close to the trim. Although coated spring steel they can and do go rusty sometimes, snapping in the process (certainly before the post unless it's really ropy), but FS will sort you out with replacements.

Michael Evans
New User
Username: mikeyev60

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2015 - 01:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ps Geoff's fix is quite elegant too

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2015 - 01:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ha! Thanks Geoff and Brian, that answers my first concern perfectly (only I make it 6 lugs?). I have spent 15 minutes trying to lever off the wheel trim, following instructions in the Driver's handbook. Nope. Won't budge - need something with more leverage than the official lever, or another bloke with another lever to prise two points at once.

There must be at least two lugs given way, possibly three judging by how loose it is. But I now know exactly what I'm up against. Many thanks people, for the advice and the tips about repairs!

Stay well ...

Rod

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 756
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2015 - 01:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod

Yes - six lugs. I can't count.

Be very careful how you lever the trims off. You can leave indentations on the outer rim and even on the inside of the wheel trim, which appears as a raised area.

One tip I got from this forum and I can't remember from whom (to give them credit), is to use a short length of nylon cord to remove the trims. I use a 5/16" dia cord, about 1' long and thread it through one of the large oblong holes in the trim, so it forms a loop. A few gentle tugs should release the trim. I like this method as the oblong holes are curved inwards at their edges and therefore resist distortion.

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2015 - 01:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael,

I'll have to look again the next time I have the hubcaps off on SRH33576. I don't know whether a previous custodian may have changed the fasteners (the car and beauty rings were repainted) or whether Crewe changed them. I'm familiar (too familiar) with Starlock push on fasteners and I don't think that is what's on the back of my beauty rings.

Is your car an SZ series? It could be that Crewe went to Starlock fasteners later on, as they did seem to become "the thing" with quite a few manufacturers. I despise the things if the need to remove them arises!

Brian

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2015 - 02:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Michael, and thank you for gen about the Starlock fasteners! I'm familiar with the concept, and thought it would be something of that ilk that had rusted away. As Brian says, they're usually buxxers to get off! However, I don't think I'll want to get 'em off, so I'll ask at Flying Spares, while keeping Geoff's plan up my sleeve!

Stay well ...

Rod

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2015 - 04:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Silicon sealer will glue the beauty rings on and stop rattles. Also use the clips. And put a blob of silicon over them.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2015 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod.
Instead of risking damage by levering the caps off, try threading some cloth through the vent holes. A good yank and it should come off. A bonus is you "catch" the cap. A piece of old carpet on the ground beside the wheel is added insurance against damage.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Sunday, 14 June, 2015 - 09:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The picture shows some non standard fixings.

The wheel trim is fixed in three points on the rim. If it will not pop off where you are levering, move about 4" around and try again. Then another 4" if you don't have any joy.

Some are a real PITA, some come off with your fingers through the hole. I know which I'd prefer on my car! Count yourself lucky ! :-)

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, 21 June, 2015 - 02:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello again - well, the fixing washers (called 'spire nuts' for some reason) duly arrived from Introcar. I got a dozen on the grounds that if some are gone, others aren't far behind. I'd guess they cost about 4p each to stamp out, but they cost me £2.25 each delivered. Such is Life! Echo is due to be gone over next week - she's been valeted this week and looks the part again!

I was wondering how many fixing points there are, Paul, so thanks ... and I agree with you! France is full of cars with missing hub-caps - the French don't seem to care!

Rod
'84 Spirit

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, 13 July, 2015 - 01:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A quick update - got the trim off, and 3 of the 6 clips were broken. Fitted a new clip - and another of the old ones broke! All 3 did the same, so ended up fitting 6 new clips. At least it shouldn't come loose for another 30 years ... Thanks everybody!

Rod
'84Spirit