Front Suspension Compliant Mounts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Front Suspension Compliant Mounts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 421
Posted on Tuesday, 09 November, 2004 - 04:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you checked your compliant mounts lately ?

I had a slight distant joggle noise in the front suspension of my Turbo R over corrugations for some time. Expecting to invest in new shock absorbers eventually, on close inspection I was pleasantly surprised to find a failing front right compliance mount, UR72000. I bought a new pair for around A$50 each, and spent a leisurely two hours fitting them on Sunday. 1 1/2 hours were needed to remove and fit those tricky composite heat shields, and half an hour to change the mounts themselves. The heat shields are only held on by two bolts each, but being dry and exposed to the elements, and in tricky locations, it's whistle while you work.

Joggle noise gone.

Message: don't confuse a noisy shock absorber with a dodgy compliant mount.

Note that the early Metalastic mount used from 1972 to 1990 is replaced in service by an identical-looking Avon unit with no adjustment or modification necessary. They should always be replaced in pairs.

Old on the left, new on the right: