Removing the Flying Lady Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Removing the Flying Lady « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim Maslin
New User
Username: timspirit

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 25 May, 2015 - 19:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am a new and proud custodian of a 1981 Silver Spirit, chassis 03933. I am concerned about the security of the Flying Lady when there is no access to secure parking. I understood that she could be removed upwards after removing the allen-keyed bolt. I removed this but she would not budge. I did not like to exert too much force, so any suggestions?

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Frequent User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, 25 May, 2015 - 19:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tim,
Yours is like mine, the shaft is corroded inside the bore.
You'd need to remove the grille then knock her out of the hole, bang on the shaft from inside, below, using a shortened broomstick and hammer. Start with soft swings. I had to hit quite hard to get her out, wrap a towel around the Lady, she will fly away otherwise )))
Then use plenty of copper grease to avoid her getting stuck again.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3206
Posted on Tuesday, 26 May, 2015 - 00:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I really wouldn't worry about this too much. The days of the Flying Lady being a worthwhile trophy for petty thieves are long gone. Maybe theft applied 35 years ago, in the days when a cassette-radio player was a target (I lost a few that way), but car theft and component theft is almost unheard of these days. Your slotted hubcaps are more collectable and each is more expensive to replace than a mascot these days, and you would hardly remove the hubcaps every time you park the car.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Tuesday, 26 May, 2015 - 03:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm with Richard on this one.

If you're really worried about the FL you could consider installing a secondary horn switch that activates the horn if the FL is tilted.

I've had my car almost across the USA and back, and overnighted at some less than stellar locations, but the car has never been touched.

The threat of vandalism is generally greater than that of theft and it seems that most of that is targeted at cars far newer than ours. The "damned 1% - let's key it" factor seems to lessen greatly as the cars age.

Given some of the myths that surround our cars and their alarm systems (which are very often non-existent) there's far more of a "look but don't touch" approach to them no matter where they happen to be.

Brian

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, 26 May, 2015 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And, in the USA, those that feel that way about the 1% are not some horde of deadbeat "unwashed", and are trying to act legislatively, rather than through vandalism.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 26 May, 2015 - 01:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A plain blank is available for the Swedish market.

If you decide to make one. 304 Stainless. And put a screw thread in the top otherwise you will have to invert car to remove.

It may be possible to replace the locking screw with magnets. The unseen advantage is that should a scumbag want to take it the lady will come out easy. Thus the scumbag won't wrench and bend it all up.

I dont worry about hub caps and the lady.
I dont push my luck. I sort know if the area isn't safe.

An advantage with aluminium wheels is that they are harder to nick than trims. My trims pop off in 1 second!

Nearly every car park I use has CTV connected to the town hall which is monitored by the police.

I dont leave my car on the road at night. Plus the insurance company will sort it out.£150 Excess.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Tim Maslin
New User
Username: timspirit

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 26 May, 2015 - 16:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the quick replies.

Had another go today and with a bit of wiggling, out she came.

For the time it takes, I will remove her in "dodgy" situations. I am not convinced that she is not a target for the unwashed.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, 27 May, 2015 - 10:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan Forrest has had more than one of these beauties nicked from his car as well as the centre bonnet/hood strip.

Richard.

Robert Noel Reddington
New User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 28 May, 2015 - 06:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Because you will be handling the lady

( now then now then the forum is not for smutty jokes)

Use petroleum jelly, this won't mess up ones hands.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Sunday, 14 June, 2015 - 10:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quick Release Modification for ladys that bend over... . .

loosen off the allen key until you can just spin the lady in the hole and spin it around a couple of times.

This should leave a mark on the tube.

Now machine / file / grind a vertical flat or groove running from the bottom of the tube up to the mark. Make it about 90 degrees from the back of the the tube .5 mm should be more than enough.

Now file from that point horizontally to the REAR of the tube but let it get shallower as gets closer to the rear most point on the tube.

Put the lady in facing rearwards. then turn it 45 degrees towards the flat you have made.

Tighten the fixing so it is starting to touch the groove.

Turn the lady so she is facing backwards and it should lock in place. ( you may need to adjust the allen key or file more off the other area.

Pull the lady up out of the tube so she is once again facing forwards.

It will now be a kind of bayonet type of fixing.

Turn the lady 90 degrees to the newly made flat point and the lady should then become loose and pull out without having to open the bonnet etc.

Keep a plastic bag with you to pop the greasy lady in once removed.