FTP today Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » FTP today « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Frequent User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, 18 May, 2015 - 06:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In my juvenile enthusiasm I decided to do some donuts on an empty parking, first circle goes well, lots of smoke and nice tiremarks, but then the engine stalled and refused to start again. Called for a flatbed, and now I'm troubleshooting. I can't hear the fuel pump (new pump, less than 5000 miles), which makes me think if there is some safety device that stops the pump in case of an impact. I did not impact anything but the donut was a wilde ride for sure!
Car is a 1985 Corniche, fuel injected K-Jetronic with Cat and O2 gear.

Any thoughts?

Michael Evans
Yet to post message
Username: mikeyev60

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 18 May, 2015 - 06:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Isn't there a fuel cut off inertia switch somewhere? Normally there is a switch that pops in an accident so that the fuel pump stops in fuel injected cars (compared to carb cars that will only draw fuel through when there is a vacuum from the running engine). You can just push the reset button back down and everything works. Don't know where it is on a Royce. Maybe under one of the seats.

Michael Evans
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 18 May, 2015 - 06:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The axle tramp my have tripped it

Michael Evans
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 18 May, 2015 - 06:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Perhaps stick to the Holden V8 next time eh? ;-)

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 18 May, 2015 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Passenger side just behind lower dashboard. Just a guess. Use mirror.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Frequent User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, 18 May, 2015 - 09:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, car is a LHD if it should makle a difference, then, what will I find there' Do you mean the 'engine run switch'? And while I got you on the line, where would the fuel pump relais be on a K-Jetronic Corniche?

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 19 May, 2015 - 04:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have looked at the technical section but I was using a mobile. I couldn't find the info.
Download the fuel system stuff its in 3 parts.

Also check the owners manual.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Frequent User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, 19 May, 2015 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fault found: the relatively new (1,5y / 10K miles) fuel pump is seized. I installed my old one and car serviceable again.
Did we not all believe that those fuel pumps are fairly robust?
Or did something irregular on my car shoot down the pump? Possibly the excessively high g-loads during donut-cornering in a Corniche must have overloaded that pump, ha!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Tuesday, 19 May, 2015 - 11:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

JP,

Isn't the fuel pump in your car a Bosch pump? If so, those pumps are fairly robust.

You are the unfortunate person for whom 99.99% problem free means you're part of the 0.01%.

Glad to hear that you chased down the root cause so quickly!!

Brian

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Sunday, 14 June, 2015 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They are robust but do not like to be starved of fuel.

If the fuel was lowish, it could slosh to one end and away from the fuel outlet.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Frequent User

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, 23 June, 2015 - 18:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, your theory makes sense, fuel was below 1/4.