Wipers wont work Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Wipers wont work « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, 12 April, 2015 - 21:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all I was driving my car yesterday morning it had been raining and there was a lot of water on the bonnet/hood that was wetting the window turned on the wipers and cleared the window a few minutes later I turned them on again and nothing happened I left them switched on and drove on a bit I had to slow down and applied the brakes the wipers started to work again I stopped at a shop and when I resumed driving again and tried the wipers again they didn't work I checked all the 20 amp fuses and they are all ok any help would be appreciated.

Richard.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Grand Master
Username: lluís

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, 13 April, 2015 - 04:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stupid test: all earth connections tight? check under the cover of the mechanism.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Monday, 13 April, 2015 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check the wiring diagram for your car. I believe they were still using three relays as part of the control mechanism for the wipers.

I had all kinds of peculiarities with my wipers until I traced it to wonky relays and replaced same.

Lluís is, of course, also correct. There are lots of electrical gremlins in these cars that can be traced to bad ground/earth connections.

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, 13 April, 2015 - 08:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,as you know it really rains in Northern Ireland, so you probably won't need them for another year..just kidding.
Similar situation happened to my '68 Shadow a few yrs back.At that time, I just moved the wiper blades from left to right gently, you might notice a slickness..be fore they engage ..which did the trick.If memory serves me correctly I removed the circular part of motor which houses the moveable part of motor and greased same. Works fine now no problems 2 years on...
Hk

richard george yeaman
Prolific User

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, 13 April, 2015 - 09:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all, I checked under the cover earlier today and found a loose earth connection I thought I had found the problem but alas no, I will have a look at the relays tomorrow and order some new ones anyway any other hints welcome.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, 13 April, 2015 - 09:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hubert you are so right about the weather here in Northern Ireland the sun drenched beaches and tanned beautiful people LOL. by the way are these relays all the same part number.

Richard.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Grand Master
Username: lluís

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, 13 April, 2015 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

loose earth = sparks = dead relay.

I guess there must be relays diagrammes for these cars? Can somebody help?

Lluís

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, 13 April, 2015 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard , have you put a 12 volt wire to the wiper motor positive or indeed bring a wire from the earth side of motor to body of car etc. If motor working it should move.. I would bring forward the wiper arms from windscreen as it will run on fast speed?.
Another thing to consider..I know you mentioned you checked the fuses..it has happened to me that I had a correct fuse but the copper end needed a clean?.
Hk

richard george yeaman
Prolific User

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, 13 April, 2015 - 20:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I haver ordered some relays this morning should have them tomorrow £13.25 plus vat I am sure there are alternatives somewhere that are cheaper but if that cures it I will be happy.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, 15 April, 2015 - 01:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all car fixed new relay fitted and a spare in the boot/trunk maybe get some more to be sure. Thank you Lluis Brian and Hubert. for your input very much appreciated.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, 16 April, 2015 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had to fit another relay to day wipers stopped again I have ordered some more hopefully they wont be needed.

Richard.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 17 April, 2015 - 04:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the wipers just stop anywhere then the power to the wiper parking switch is missing.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, 17 April, 2015 - 17:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

... or the switch is faulty or needs adjusting.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Saturday, 18 April, 2015 - 01:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

. . . or there is a wonky connection somewhere (likely a wire that has been flexing and occasionally breaks connection inside the insulation - but other options exist) that simply cuts the power supply off entirely.

Intermittent and inconsistent failures are a grand PITA as far as determining root cause(s).

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 18 April, 2015 - 05:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Go to wiring diagram. Copy wiper wiring on to paper in colour.

Note on theoretical wiring diagrams dot dash line means everything inside the box is part of say the wiper motor. Sometimes for convenience a parking switch which is part of the wiper motor is in a separate dot dash box even though its part of the wiper motor.

Once the drawing is done use this to check each wire. Write down results. Then study. Once you know how the wiper exactly works. Repair is simple.

Note relays are reliable as is the actual wire. Weak points are connectors.

(Message approved by david_gore)