Battery warning light again! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Battery warning light again! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

peter giles
Yet to post message
Username: awg454

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 24 March, 2015 - 07:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I have a Silver Spur 11 The battery warning light keeps coming on while slowing down,normally for a few seconds then goes out,then next time you slow down it comes on again,which is quite annoying as it beeps every time,I have checked the battery,had the alternator off and bench tested,cleaned all the plugs,and it still has the problem,any one have any ideas Thanks

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Tuesday, 24 March, 2015 - 09:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check for a worn/glazed or incorrectly tensioned alternator drive belt. It may be slipping as the alternator begins to slow down whilst the alternator is under load from the vehicle's electrical system causing a momentary loss of voltage which activates the warning light.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 24 March, 2015 - 08:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This sounds like a faulty regulator.
However as the alternator changes speed the brushes on the field windings can momentarily go open circuit. Which will cause the battery light to flicker
So check the brushes. These are at the rear of the alternator

Follow instructions in workshop manual chapter M.

Easy job to check. Clean slip ring with wet or dry or sandpaper or glass paper
Don't go mad a light touch of abrasive paper is enough. Don't use emery.

My car being a Shadow means the brushes and holder is held in place ny two screws and can be removed without taking the alternator off the car

But I like to take alternator off the car for a clean and repaint if needed.

I hate over use of warming buzzers. No charging for a few seconds is not an emergency.

Failing that put sponge over earning buzzer to mute it.

Note your cars alternator warning system maybe controlled by the ecu. And therefore check the ecu plug and wiring. My stupid jeep is like this. The Jeep ecu even controls the cooling fans. Which is a daft idea. I like a temp switch and a relay, much simpler.

(Message approved by david_gore)

peter giles
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 25 March, 2015 - 20:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the replies so far,anyone know where the warning buzzer is located

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, 25 March, 2015 - 20:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hate buzzers too Bob and I especially hate engine lights on later model cars, they are a thorough nuisance and very annoying to all mechanics.

They cause unwanted stress in drivers especially in the outback. Like I have said before the car manufacturers these days are simply not providing value for money.

I respect other peoples opinions but if anybody truly believes that late model cars are more reliable than the older cars from the 60s and 70s they should get a job in the trade so they can see just how these hideous pieces of junk drop in the middle of nowhere and present their owners with towing bills like $3,000.

Very hard on young families having to struggle to make ends meet when they decide to go on holidays in the outback.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Wednesday, 25 March, 2015 - 23:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Anecdotes are not data. The hard data on reliability goes directly against what you're saying.

All cars have the potential to break down. Newer ones seem to do so less often both when new and over their functional lifetimes.

I vividly remember the cars of the 1970s. Those produced in the U.S. hit their nadir in terms of fit, finish, and reliability during the latter half of the 1970s. What was interesting to me was that while the Japanese makes had their ascendancy here during that period (and were very reliable during their lives) the durability of most of them was just plain awful (at least in the snow belt). That has changed too, of course. Now it's the Koreans who are the real up-and-comers in that market segment.

"What's too painful to remember, we simply choose to forget. . ."

Brian, who once had a freshly installed planetary gear die on a trip the day after I got the car back. The towing bill from Bristol, VA, to Staunton was nothing to sneeze at (but was covered by insurance).

peter giles
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 26 March, 2015 - 07:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the replies so far,anyone know where the warning buzzer is located

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 26 March, 2015 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Modern cars are more reliable. In the 70s most problems were caused by extended service intervals and sealed for life stuff. Plus I notice a lower quality electrical stuff. The quality of electrical switches in a Morris Minor was good but the car that replaced it the Marina was bumper to bumper awful quality. We had endless electrical problems on marinas due to bad design and cheap materials. Easy to fix but annoying to the owner.

When we used to service cars in the 1960s we did more work and shorter service intervals
Cars like Morris Minors were reliable providing it was serviced every 3000 miles or three months.

We used to have lub bays where all fluids were serviced then into the workshop for the rest.

A mechanic and apprentice would do a lub in 15mins.
The garages let this bread and butter work go to kwik fit and alike along with tyres and exhaust.

The buzzer is behind the dash, work the buzzer and find with ears.

Gaffer tape sponge.
I wouldnt disconnect it just mute it.

I don't like adding stuff on cars just because one can.
I want a good reason.

(Message approved by david_gore)

peter giles
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, 27 March, 2015 - 03:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that bob UK we are looking at it again on Saturday and I have a new alternator to try so hopefully we can cure it with out muting the buzzer