Reverse lights u/s Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Reverse lights u/s « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Experienced User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, 22 March, 2015 - 03:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Both reverse lights stopped working, and being left-handed with everything electronic, I'm writing these lines with the quest for some advice on where to start troubleshooting.
Both ground wires are well attached, bulbs are working. There is a cable with 2 brown and 2 white stripes that originates at the bulbs and goes into the wiring loom into the rear fender. Where does that cable lead to? Is the command to light up the bulbs coming from the gearbox actuator motor?

JP
Corniche DAF-10195

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, 22 March, 2015 - 07:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not entirely certain Jean. Never worked on a spirit. But you should lift the car up and look on the gearbox for a switch with two wires coming from it.

Probably best to download the wiring diagram from the RROCA web site to identify the colours of the wires going to the reverse light switch. Then make up a wire jumper and plug that into the wires going to the switch, check your ignition is on and then see if the reverse lights are working.

If they are it is the reverse light switch that is faulty so replace it.

Before you do any of this check to see the reverse light switch fuse is not blown. Replace that if blown and if the fuse blows again you know you have a short circuit somewhere in the wiring.

Let us know if you need more help should not be too hard to solve this problem

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, 22 March, 2015 - 04:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check the fuse
Chapter M.
M14.

Workshop manual revels all.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, 22 March, 2015 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From memory, the micro switch operating the reversing lights is in the electric gear selector under the car. If the switch is U/S then change all of the microswitches as they will probably all be worn or suffering from damp. They are standard microswitches.
Mark

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Experienced User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, 23 March, 2015 - 22:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the microswitch is u/s, then I would not be able to select reverse at all? Anyway, I'll need to get myself access to that box no matter what. Thanks for all the input, I will report back in due course.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, 24 March, 2015 - 01:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, with our Spirit, the reversing lights failed but this does not affect the stepper motor operating the gear selector. The stepper motor operates the microswitch for the reversing lights.I think a separate microswitch operates the starter inhibitor, but will check with my son tonight, as he borrowed my car the day it failed and stripped and repaired it on his drive !

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, 24 March, 2015 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Confirmed with my son, he thinks from memory there are 3 or 4 switches operated by the stepper motor, but they were not too fiddly to change, and if one needs attention then change them all whilst the assembly is on the bench.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, 25 March, 2015 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check the wiring at the gearbox electrical plug. Because the engine moves about thus flexing the wiring.

On my Shadow the loom for the gearbox goes to a socket on the lefthand toe board.

Refer to chapter M for the details and terminal numbers and wire colours.

I had a fault with my park position and found a broken wire inside the plug.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Experienced User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, 27 March, 2015 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, thanks for that, and I was indeed able to find this info just now in the online manuals (a section where I did not click-in before). A gearbox overhaul kit is ordered, so I will tackle the insides of stepper motor once the gearbox is out.
Bob, found those sockets in the engine bay, there are a few brown/white cables (some have thinner, some have thicker brown stripes). Will check them all.
Thanks for pointing me into the right directions!

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 28 March, 2015 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought that because the spirit floor pan is the same as a shadow I guessed that maybe the wiring in that area would be the same.

The switches and adjustments are reliable. So do check electrical continuity from the plug prongs to the actual wire.

Two ways.
connect up at plug prong and find other end at the toe board socket. Or prong to needle pushed through the wire.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Experienced User

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, 29 March, 2015 - 10:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, I understood you believe the microwitches to be fine, and that the problem I have lies in the connectors? I really have 2 left hands with everything electric, I think I understand you but need to put it into practise! Many thanks again, I'm learning!

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 30 March, 2015 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

JP,

Because the engine moves in relation to the body the wiring to that plug should be checked. Plus that plug has been touched when the gear change servo was last removed. The loom to the plug is very stiff.

it could have a dodgy switch, but check wiring first.

Saves unnecessary work.

The wiring in the car looks complex.
if each circuit is taken on its own and examined one will find a power supply(fused), a switch and a load( the load being the reverse lights in this case) and a return path to the battery, the earth or negative. Apart from fuel, temperature and oil pressure gauges the circuits are either on or off.

The gauges are variable voltage.

I have looked on the web for a tutorial on auto electrical stuff, but can't find one.

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, 03 April, 2015 - 18:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One problem area is dirty selector contacts at lever on column. If cover removed one can see moving contact(lever) sliding over fixed contacts, 5 or 6 depending on Hydramatic or GM400 transmission. Clean these up, both fixed and sliding. In the sixties R-R did a "secret recall" as evidence of car after having selected reverse, when "d" selected car went backwards. At that time we used cigarette paper trapped between moving /fixed contacts to determine there was enough pressure to make contact. I bit of practice shows it does work! Just run finger of one hand over fingers of other hand to get idea, if when getting to say little finger and no contact that is exactly what happens.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Frequent User

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, 04 April, 2015 - 07:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon, thanks for insisting on this matter. What I did is simply verify visually if the fixed 'metal strip' falls into the 'dimples'. Maybe it looks fine but in reality it is not!

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 04 April, 2015 - 07:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have had the problem of difty contacts simple to fix.
In this case the car is selecting reverse so the column switch is good.

Unless there is another switch in the column switch there must be a switch at the gear box end in the servo.

Note. The adjustments inside the servo are for the factory to set up. The adjustments shouldnt need adjusting. So before pulling the servo apart do check the wiring.

Having said that. Its entirely possible that the reverse light switch has failed.

To check the switch remove cover put selector in reverse. Then check the continuity of the switch. If it has continuity then try another position to check the switch opens.

Like most electro-mechanical stuff mechanism likes to be oiled.

So grease the cams.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Prolific User

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, 22 August, 2015 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just posted an update to this issue in a new thread.