1997 Turbo R Dipped beam upgrade. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 1997 Turbo R Dipped beam upgrade. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, 10 February, 2015 - 21:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all I was wondering if there is an upgrade for the dipped beam. I find the ones fitted to be totally inadequate in the face of on coming traffic any help appreciated.

Richard.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3181
Posted on Tuesday, 10 February, 2015 - 22:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dim dip. Yes, delete the resistor block and rewire its function ro ROW. That was resolved a very long time ago. Just drive on low beam as has been standaed or mandatory daytime practice in many countries for decades.

You can always fit LED festoons and look like an old Audi at Mardi Gras of course.

RT.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, 11 February, 2015 - 19:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard thank you for your reply I thought it would be a matter of just changing the bulbs to more modern ones. Electrics isn't my best subject so I wouldn't know what a resister block is or where it would be thanks again.

Richard.

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, 11 February, 2015 - 21:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Dim-Dip system was used for a few years in the UK to prevent idiots driving around at night on sidelights only (parking lights).

If the sidelights and ignition are both switched on (but no headlights), the dipped headlights are turned on at reduced power.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the original question about upgrading the headlights. I assume the OP is not driving around with the headlamps switched off! If so, the remedy is to switch the headlights on.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Thursday, 12 February, 2015 - 01:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The way I read the original inquiry is, "Is there an upgraded bulb I can use that produces better light?"

If that's correct then the answer is almost certainly, "Yes." I would imagine that the Osram-Sylvania SilverStar bulbs are marketed worldwide, and they make a huge difference. If they have the Zevo LED available in the correct configuration that might, too.

A change from the conventional halogen low-beam bulbs to just "regular grade" SilverStar bulbs in my Cadillac made a striking difference. The high beams were already bright enough. If I'd gone SilverStar with those bulbs as well I'd probably be able to blind oncoming drivers from miles away if I forgot to turn them down.

Brian

richard george yeaman
Prolific User

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, 12 February, 2015 - 02:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian that is exactly what I meant and thank you.I have ordered a pair of Osram Silverstar bulbs and will report back on the outcome.thanks to Richard. Bob. and Brian.

Richard.