Brake pistons / how to install those ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Brake pistons / how to install those rubber dust seals? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Experienced User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, 13 December, 2014 - 18:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brake pistons / how to install those rubber dust seals?
I've managed to do do all pistons about a year ago but today I'm struggling. Wasn't easy a year ago either, so I'm all yours to learn something real cool (I hope)
(I did watch all possible UTube videos on that topic but no luck...)
Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
DAF-10195

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 713
Posted on Saturday, 13 December, 2014 - 23:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Are you absolutely certain that the boots are the correct size? I know they can be fiddly to replace, but they shouldn't be so difficult that you require assistance. At worst I've found that a smear of brake fluid on the inside only helps to get them over the lip. Wearing disposable surgical type gloves gives you extra grip as well.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, 24 December, 2014 - 20:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The dust seals slide in fine, what causes me physical and moral pain are the metal rings to hold them in place!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Wednesday, 24 December, 2014 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi JP.

I did write a longer reply a few weeks ago. Must have fallen foul of the preview then post buttons again. grrr

Keep everything dry, no lube.
Get a helper with long finger nails.
Make sure every blob of rust is off the caliper.
Get your helper to open the ring. Put the closed side on and hold it down, then slip the open ends on.

Infuriating little buggers. The important thing is to not slide the ring onto the rubber, but open it and let it close onto it

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Wednesday, 24 December, 2014 - 21:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ps Never tried it, but I don't see why you couldn't super glue the rubber in place, let it dry, and then fit the clip.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, 24 December, 2014 - 21:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do have a helper with long nails, but if one of those breaks, she'll dig them deep in my back ((((
That superglue-idea is worth a try, I also thought of a Jubilee clip as "3rd hand".

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.81
Posted on Sunday, 28 December, 2014 - 07:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To fit the spring ring clips lubricate the area with Castrol Red brake rubber grease.

Also before fitting boots cover exposed area of chrome piston with rubber grease. This prevents sticky pistons and seize ups when in storage.

The grease comes in 1lb cans or small tubes it is cheap. Two tubes will do all the calipers and your motorbike.

The grease is specially made for exactly this application.

For some reason most engineers seem not to use or really know about the grease.

I discovered how good red rubber grease is on police motor bikes.
If calipers were put together without it then sticky pistons in weeks. With grease no sticky pistons ever.

Keep off disks and pads.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, 06 January, 2015 - 02:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that Bob!
Other related question: if there is LHM right behind one of those rubber boots, that is not normal, right? And it means that the piston seal is ageing, right?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Tuesday, 06 January, 2015 - 03:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Right.mineral calipers love to weep.

They usually give plenty of warning before they start dropping.

Any dark stain around the caliper and pads is an early warning sign.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.76
Posted on Tuesday, 06 January, 2015 - 06:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought this was a dot car. How stupid of me, it's a spirit not a shadow.
Because it's lhm which is mineral. Then normal mineral oil type greases can be used. Such as Castrol chassis grease.

What ever is chosen make sure it's clean.

Lhm is such searching stuff. Citreons have the same problem, they leak lhm regardless of efforts to stop leaks. At least it stops the lhm getting too old.

Where as dot seems to tolerate dodgy seals much better. I have seen a few wheel cylinders that aren't leaking but are horrid inside with pitted bores. One can take liberties with dot. But lhm no chance.

Ideally there should be no fuild on the air side of the piston but most will have a wetness on the piston air side. At least it stops rust.
Just keep an eye on the calipers when doing the 6 week brake check.

When the brakes are off, the caliper seals are relaxed. This is when they leak.

When the brakes are on the seals are forced against the piston and bore groove which seals any leaks. The harder the brakes are applied the better the seal.

This means that the calipers won't suddenly fail.

Dot systems do the same.

Its a very clever bit of design.

(Message approved by david_gore)