Mirrors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Mirrors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jean-pierre hilbert
New User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, 13 November, 2014 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would anybody know how the outside rear-view mirrors are attached to the motor assembly?
Simply clipped and removable by simple praying, eh..prying?
Car is an SZ, 1985 Corniche DAF-10193

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
DAF-10195

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.79
Posted on Thursday, 13 November, 2014 - 10:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Usually the mirror glass is held to the gumball with clips that are released with a small tool in the bottom gap between glass and housing.

I have had mirrors cut by glass shop to a pattern and then glued the mirror on top of the old one.

Television rear view cameras?

(Message approved by david_gore)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Thursday, 13 November, 2014 - 17:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jean-Pierre,

What problem are having with the mirrors?

I'll post a photo later when I'm at the regards, Paul.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
New User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, 14 November, 2014 - 07:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

@ Bob: television rear-view camera is about to be ordered. This system from Rostra installs a camera in the rear (still need to find a place) and the picture is seen in the rear-view mirror. This is an installation which may benefit a lot of users here.
@ Paul, the issue is that I bent the LH door on a pillar which I did not see because I was looking back (in reverse). Had the door fixed, but the mirror is not moving up or down (it moves lef to right, though). At some point I would want to take the glass of got better TS. Hence my query.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.78
Posted on Friday, 14 November, 2014 - 11:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The tv is smashing my wifes mate has a system on her horse box.

The cameras are fish eyed which can be corrected to flat by the system. It has three cameras one a the back which is 10ft up. And tow on the side mirrors. Also a forth camera for dobbin the horse.

This lot makes mamaneuvering the large lorry easy, we'll easy to me.

The fish eyes allow the bit that I want to see without re-aiming the camera.
the cameras are an inch in diameter.

However this is a truck which has all sorts bolted to it so some steel brackets holding cameras don't look out of place.

Also the tv screen is on a stalk bolted to the dash.
The truck has to have glass mirrors for legal reasons. Plus should the system go wrong the truck is safe to drive.

These cameras can be smaller. If the camera is inside the mirror housing then the mirror could have a window or a smaller corner. The camera could be attached to the mirror so that it moves with the mirror.

The rear camera could see through the rear number plate.

The cameras have three small wires a shield and earth, 12volt dc and signal. They plug into a "black box". The LCD screen also plugs in to the box. The box has 12vdc and earth or negative. The system is set up using touch screen on the LCD. It cost £550 but her insurance company gives her a small discount. She got the idea from HRH Princess Anne's horse box.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.87
Posted on Saturday, 15 November, 2014 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Correction.
the horse box has 5 cameras the fifth is forward facing.

System records the last ten hours and is automatic it is also connected to Sat nav system which records time place and speed.
The discount is 20% on the insurance.

The system is becoming available for cars once the insurance bit is sorted.
the car version with front camera only is £150. Plus LCD screen if the driver wants to use the Sat nav application for navigation.

I found with the horse box that on motorways I use the normal mirrors. In town I set up the nearside and rear camera because of stupid bicyclists and walkers hell bent on getting run over by a 6 ton horse box. Before the system was fitted it was scary in town because of the blind spots its so easy to run a walker or a cycle over and kill someone. Not to mention the damage to the truck if it backs into something.

But do note that the recording is available to the police because if one takes up the discount then in return the insurance company will have access and any wrong doing will be passed on to the cops.