Water pump Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Water pump « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jean-pierre hilbert
Yet to post message
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 29 October, 2014 - 04:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All,

I bought my 1985 Corniche 2,5y ago, 83K miles then, 89k now. My question is about the reliability of the water pump:
- Is it a known item to fail?
- What is the failure mode, i.e. slow with early warning symptoms (and what symptoms would those be) or rather rapid with associated smoke and potential damage?
- Would it be recommended that I install a new water pump just to eliminate a potential FTP?
I need to remove the (leaky) radiator anyway, hence I would have good access to the pump.
I have no service history before my ownership so am I right to assume that this pump has not been touched yet?

JP Hilbert
DAF-10195

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, 29 October, 2014 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Jean-Pierre,
This topic can be the basis of our converstaion when we meet up next week for a coffee.
Take care
Omar

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.86
Posted on Wednesday, 29 October, 2014 - 05:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The water pump is the same style as every car water pump. Using a mirror check the drain hole. If it's clean the pump is fine. If it has traces of dried up antifreeze then it's on its way.
The pump is as reliable as other pumps.
The amount of work to take the radiator out again to change the water pump is not much. One hour.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3113
Posted on Wednesday, 29 October, 2014 - 10:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The good news is that the coolant pump on cars from 1981 at around Chassis 2800 are particularly good by any standards and usually last a very long time and high mileage.

That is in stark contrast to the Silver Shadows and very early Silver Spirits which have a rather inferior pump fitted with a nasty seal and spindle arrangement good for 5-7 years before leaking suddenly and fast. You would be lucky even to detect a drip from those early pumps before the torrent come gushing out at a very inconvenient moment. However, new replacement pumps for those are almost all now improved vastly with the later type of cooland seal included.

RT.

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, 29 October, 2014 - 20:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Against Richard's advice I rebuilt my old-style (1978) pump the first time around. While an entertaining project, it didn't even make it 5 years.

The second time I listened and got a new-style aftermarket replacement. That was only a few years ago, but so far so good....

Cheers,
Jeff.

jean-pierre hilbert
New User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 29 October, 2014 - 22:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Im glad to hear that I have the more sturdy pump on my car! I'll check the drain hole that Bob mentioned and post a pic if I should have doubts and need an opinion. Still, I may simply pull the bugger out to satisfy my curiosity, and to teach me how to change it if ever need to do that manoeuvre o the side of the road.