Petrol smell in boot/trunk 1991 Turbo R Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Petrol smell in boot/trunk 1991 Turbo R « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2014 - 02:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My friend Stephen has a 1991 turbo R that had a strong smell of Petrol in the boot when he bought it, His garage fitted a new seal at the sender as it was leaking petrol this seemed to cure the problem of the leak but there seems to be a slight smell still is there any other connectors or seals that could be causing this smell.

Richard.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2014 - 03:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

See the hose UR20949 in the illustration below. As they age they can allow very slight "weeping" of fuel that can create the smell you're smelling.

Fuel Filler Hose

Brian

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.76
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2014 - 05:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The smell can linger. In the UK we have stuff called neutra droll. Which absorbs smells. Or would a lump of charcoal help.
shake and vac.

Leaving boot lid open overnight often helps. Take the carpets out for airing.

(Message approved by david_gore)

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2014 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Brian a very detailed diagram he should be able to figure something out from this.
Bob the charcoal lumps might be useful thing to keep in the boot anyway might help keep it fresh.(or one might want to burn it)

Richard.

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, 11 March, 2015 - 19:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any place to get that UR20949 for and un-ridiculous price? I've seen them for $100US!

Or, if there's an alternative that will fit?

- Larry

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 12 March, 2015 - 07:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a lot of dosh for a rubber hose.

Because the hose is almost straight. I reckon that a straight bit of hose will work.

Google petrol tank filler hose and something suitable will turn up. It's very likely to be a standard size.
Or go to car breaker and go treasure hunting.
The hose looks like so many other hoses.
A bit of shoe polish makes hoses look New.

Note although a rad top hose looks like it will do, it may rot in contact with petrol.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Friday, 13 March, 2015 - 00:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

In addition to Bob's suggestion, Gates makes flexible nitrile fuel filler hose that can be purchased at a number of outlets by the foot, so that you can get it cut to the actual length you need. Here's a 2"/51mm ID example cut to 3-feet. I don't know what the ID is on the OEM hose, but there are also larger and smaller IDs available. Since this stuff cannot be stretched you need to get something that can just slide over the fittings and then be clamped down (or use reducer sleeves, which they also make).

I think that Dayco may also manufacture something quite similar. There are also lots of straight and molded "solid" fuel filler hoses out there if you can find one that works shape-wise.

Brian

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 13 March, 2015 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The bendy hose will work and it's hidden.

Note. If you are looking for minute leak wrap suspect bit in bog paper. Then later even days check for stains on bog paper.

I say this because originally the leak was the gauge thingy. The smell can last a long time.

Also are both ends the same dia.

Another option is to heat shrink tube over the whole length. Untested.!!

See how you get on. Also Flying Spares.

Larry Halpert
Prolific User

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, 04 May, 2015 - 13:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On fuel injected 20,000 series cars with purge/charcoal system, is the gas cap supposed to be sealed, and have a few seconds of hiss when the cap is turned to the left before screwing off?

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 04 May, 2015 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I dont know but I prefer not to have tanks pressurise themselves.

In the good old days of ignorance about emmisions we had vented fuel caps.

Now the fumes are sucked by engine vacuum via a charcoal cannister. Basically.

Disconnect tank breather and blow down it. It should flow freely. If not then disconnect the little pipes until it does and logic should identify whats blocked.

Charcoal cannisters rarely go wrong but can rarely clog up in very dusty conditions.

As a stop gap the petrol cap seal can be removed and refitted with ease.

My 1974 beast has a simple breather to atmosphere. So it doesnt go wrong.

If this the same car that has a stinky boot then this maybe the source of the smell.

Larry Halpert
Prolific User

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2015 - 09:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From what I understand, (on other cars), it is okay for a bit of hiss as it reaches a certain vacuum before the valve opens to allow fumes into the canister. The idea is it not being TOO much, or a pressure situation where it blows out when the cap is removed.

I was asking about my cap because I don't actually have to remove the seal. It seals if rotated all the way clockwise, but it is just vented if the cap is rotated a bit counter-clockwise before it actually unscrews.

Also, when sealed, the Stant cap has both pressure and vacuum safety release valves.

I just wanted to be sure it is meant to be in the sealed position, as I thought I read in the manual that this is the case.