Engine stalling / 1993 Brooklands Ben... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Engine stalling / 1993 Brooklands Bentley « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael R. Rohrmoser
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 46.220.80.168
Posted on Thursday, 28 August, 2014 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HELP!
I need your knowledge, as my 1993 Brooklands developed the following problem this afternoon:
It started as ever, all control lights went out, I put in reverse gear, drove 10 meters, stopped, put the gear lever in D and after further 10 meters, when pressing the brake, the engine stalled.
The control panel showed >check engine<.
I managed to start the engine again, but the red battery light didnīt went off until I reved the engine up to 2000 rpm.
Next the >check gearbox< light went on and the engine stalled again.
I managed to reach the garage with several restarts, but everytime I lifted the throttle or hit the brake pedal, the engine stalled...
Has anybody experienced this before or has an idea what could cause the problem?
Thanks a lot in advance for your advice!
Michael

(Message approved by david_gore)

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Thursday, 28 August, 2014 - 14:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The first thing I'd do is have the battery checked. I've had similar experiences with a Jag I owned, and have had others tell me they've had "sudden spurious warnings" and other misbehavior when their batteries were getting weak.

I had a GEARBOX FAULT warning and a switch to limp home mode mixed in with mine. Everything resolved itself when a new battery was installed.

It may not be your problem (but I hope it is, or is as simple) but it certainly is an easy thing to check out as a starting point.

Also, make sure that your battery connections are both tight on the terminals and that the negative cable is secured tightly to the chassis on that end (and, of course, that there's no corrosion there as well).

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up finding.

Brian

Michael R. Rohrmoser
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 46.57.100.3
Posted on Thursday, 28 August, 2014 - 18:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Will check and post an update thereafter Brian!
Thanks a lot!
Michael

Michael R. Rohrmoser
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 46.220.76.158
Posted on Friday, 29 August, 2014 - 07:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It turned out to be a faulty alternator! No charging and low voltage caused the engine stalling!
Thanks for your advice Brian!
Best regards,
Michael

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, 29 August, 2014 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael,

Congrats!! In the case of my Jag I initially thought it was a bad alternator as well, but the alternator checked out fine. It turned out to be a faulty connection of the battery negative cable to the chassis which made whatever regulates the "make the battery charge" state think it should not be charging.

It was even weirder because the car would start (until the battery was almost completely dead) without the least objection. I would think a starter would object strenuously to lack of sufficient "juice," but apparently the newer ones require far less than had been the case for decades.

The main thing this taught me, after consulting with many others and hearing my story repeated back with very slight differences, is that if you start getting a sudden raft of OBD-related warnings out of the blue then the first thing to suspect is that something's wrong with either the battery, charging system, or both.

Brian