How transparent is HSMO in the reserv... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » How transparent is HSMO in the reservoir? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Thursday, 28 August, 2014 - 01:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,

While I've seen HSMO (and the plus version) and seem to recall it being a transparent deep green in small quantities, I'm trying to imagine what happens when it is pooled in the reservoir to the specified marks.

Can one still see through it to the bottom? If so, I'd imagine a strong light would be required.

Also, are HSMO systems subject to any "sludge" creation at the bottom of the reservoir like RR363 systems are? I'd imagine that any brake/hydraulic system would be, but probably to a far lesser extent than I've seen in some of the more neglected RR363 reservoirs.

Brian

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.91
Posted on Friday, 29 August, 2014 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,
I have seen inside many Citroens on lhm and the oil in quantity is not see through. Sludge forms the same as any other system. The Citroen tank is round and held to the car with a 8" clip which simply moves to one side. The lid has all the pipes attached to it. To clean the tank the lid is left on the car and the tank taken off and the lhm tipped out. I have done a few and they all had sludge.

A very simple effective design that takes 5 mins to clean.

If you get a chance check out a CX or BX Citroen hydraulics. I should think these are rare in USA.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Friday, 29 August, 2014 - 18:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

a very strong light would've needed.

It should be very green. and clear.

as it degrades it turns a brown colour and ends up as a brown treacle by the time it's really bad.

Any sign of it loosing it's green colour and turning brown means you are late for a fluid change.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Saturday, 30 August, 2014 - 00:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you, gentlemen.

I suspected, based upon the almost tourmaline green color I thought I'd recalled seeing, that a reservoir-deep pool of HSMO/LHM would not likely be transparent in any conventional sense.

Wouldn't it have been nice if RR/Bentley had followed the "pop off the reservoir" design that Bob describes Citroën having used?

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 895
Posted on Saturday, 30 August, 2014 - 05:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wouldn't it have been nice if RR/Bentley had followed the "pop off the reservoir" design that Bob describes Citroën having used?

I have never heard so much crap.
As a Citroen fan I still must say that the cap with pipes attached looks a mess and makes a mess when removed for the service of fluid change.
As for the last proper Citroen C6 3.0 HDI the LDS tank is most tidy with no ugly rubber pipes as a RR and Bentley should and does.
I do wonder what mumbo jumbo is going on in some folks BRAINS.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 896
Posted on Saturday, 30 August, 2014 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While I've seen HSMO (and the plus version) and seem to recall it being a transparent deep green in small quantities, I'm trying to imagine what happens when it is pooled in the reservoir to the specified marks.

Just service the car to the required schedule and folk will not have a problem and waste a lifetime thinking what "if" with out going out in the car wafting arround to ones much enjoyment..

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Saturday, 30 August, 2014 - 07:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, there are those among us who are trying to help our friends with a later car than we have.

Certain details sometimes need to be obtained from others who actually have their own or service them regularly. This venue has proven to be an excellent one for obtaining those details since I don't have an SZ car in my driveway to go out and have a look at.

More concern with ease of service than aesthetics in the design of components requiring regular service is something I hear the majority of mechanics and DIY-ers wishing the engineers had taken into account. Chacun à son goût.

Brian

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, 01 September, 2014 - 18:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fresh HSMO already shows a certain cloudiness so even with a strong flashlight you can not see to the bottom of a full reservoir. Attached is a picture of what was at the bottom of a reservoir of a neglected car with roughly 150.000 km on the clock. The amount of residue of both reservoirs together were not even half a tablespoon, the filters being completely unclogged.

bottom

Cheers Daniel

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Tuesday, 02 September, 2014 - 00:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Daniel,

Thanks very much.

Brian