Changing Coolant - Refilling Specific... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Changing Coolant - Refilling Specifically « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 730
Posted on Monday, 03 March, 2014 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I seem to recall a recent thread talking about the "strange gyrations" that Crewe did not document or recommend in the Workshop Manual for filling the cooling system on SZ series cars. It seems to me that the trick was having the car angled somehow, but my recall is vague.

I wanted to point someone to this thread if it actually exists, but have been unable to come up with the correct search criteria to get back what I'm looking for.

If anyone knows which thread this was, or knows or a write-up of the "easy way" to refill the cooling system on an SZ series car, would you please post it?

Thanks,
Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Monday, 03 March, 2014 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

Search using "air block" or "air lock"; this will give you the following link:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17/9519.html

I recall Bill Coburn covering this topic either on this Forum or in "Tee One Topics"; if you search this Forum using "Bill Coburn" as the search term it might take several hours to find the relevant post if it is on this Forum and use the Index to Tee One Topics to see if this procedure is in this publication.

Richard Treacy has also contributed to this subject in the following thread:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17/6434.html

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 731
Posted on Monday, 03 March, 2014 - 11:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Thanks for those. I had already found the first thread you reference, but "that's not it" and, as it turns out, neither is the second.

This is one of the problems when you were or are an active participant on three different RR/Bentley forums - you forget what you've said to whom and when as well as "knowing that you've seen <insert>" but not being able to find it.

It seems to me that what I think I'm recalling was no more than about 1 year old and that Richard Treacy was an active participant. There was lots of discussion about how the documented method of doing a coolant change was suboptimal and that if the car is tilted a certain way it "burps" far more readily. I'll have to keep looking, but truly appreciate the pointers to those two possibilities.

Brian

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Monday, 03 March, 2014 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, Shadows are not a difficult cat to fill, 1 or 2.

Raising the nose can help. Heaters on full hot before turning off to flush, On defrost for the 2.

Best with the thermostat out and also reverse flush the rad. Be gentle if doing the heater matrix.

Fill, run and flush again if very dirty or somebody has put rad sealer in.

Fill with 70% anti-freeze for the first gallon 40% for the 2nd , that should leave you doing final top ups with pure water which is cleaner and cheaper when it overflows.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Monday, 03 March, 2014 - 20:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

Found the post you were looking for and you were right about Richard Treacy being involved.

See post dated 12th February 2013 in the following thread:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17/13305.html

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 732
Posted on Tuesday, 04 March, 2014 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Yep, that's the thread!

Paul,

This question wasn't in regard to my Shadow II or Wraith II. I had someone asking me for advice regarding a 1989 Spur and I recall people talking about how these cars are prone to air lock even when filled according to Workshop Manual Instructions.

I've even "gone over to the dark side" in the eyes of some and have been using 2-EHA-free long-life coolant in my cars (without issue, I might add).

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 735
Posted on Wednesday, 05 March, 2014 - 03:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An addendum to my "dark side" comment. In looking through my maintenance log I see that I put SuperTech Antifreeze Coolant into SRH33576 on 25 August 2011. Its formulation is not 2-EHA free [the MSDS/SDS states 1-5% 2-EHA] and, since its manufacturer is Prestone, is very likely "Prestone in a different dress." This is a data point that I didn't even have (or it had left my memory) prior to now. Another member of the RROC-US with whom I'd been corresponding is (or had been) using Prestone 50/50 Extended Life premixed antifreeze/coolant for several years as of 2011.

The extended life coolant in LRK37110 is made by Recochem and I did confirm with them that this antifreeze/coolant formulation was definitely 2-EHA free. Peak Global Lifetime also notes it's 2-EHA free in its marketing and technical materials.

Brian

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Wednesday, 05 March, 2014 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For Spirits with a pressurised expansion tank:

Get a large funnel and wedge into the expansion tank filler hole. Below the overflow. This will give you the extra head needed to keep the level above the bleeder in the top of the radiator.

Same as a Shadow after that.

Non pressurised expansion tank, Fill through the radiator.

Nose upwards will help.

It always amazes me that people would risk their £10K engine and pay twice as much for their coolant just so they can change their anti-freeze half as often.

It's something that can be done quickly, cheaply, and easily. Just my halfpenny's worth.

Mind you, even after all these years, it still surprises me when people haven't changed their diff or transmission oil for ten plus years.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, 05 March, 2014 - 10:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

I do appreciate all your help. You have been very kind to me on many occasions and I value your advice and opinions.

I will, however, defend my decision regarding coolant. I've done a lot of research on this subject. Virtually everyone who says don't use extended life coolants points exclusively to "friend of a friend" disaster reports or the report of Stephe Boddice, which is years old and deals with formulations that have been greatly revised since that time.

One thing I have learned over the years I've owned this car is that received wisdom is often anything but. When it comes to the controversies on coolants, oils, ethanol in fuel, and others the best thing to do is your own reading and research so you can make an informed decision that you are comfortable with.

Personally, I think my own counterexample along with those others who've told me about using extended life coolants for years now should cast quite a bit of doubt on the hysteria regarding coolants. All of the disaster stories talk about issues cropping up in very short order. That's just not happening for anyone I know who's "gone over to the dark side." Our experiences should count as valid data points, too.

Brian