Best material for cylinder liner o-ri... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Best material for cylinder liner o-ring seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anders Nilsson
Yet to post message
Username: nilssan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 18 February, 2014 - 21:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,
My 1981 Corniche has begun to drip coolant from some tell-tale holes in its engine, so it is obviously time to renew the cylinder liner seals.
I have found several sources for complete liner seal kits (24 o-rings), but they all appear (from a price point at least) to be made from rather "conventional" seal material. Does anybody have experience with some more high-end o-ring materials, like perflourelastomers? Since the task of replacing the liner seals is labour intensive to say the least, I like the idea of fitting the best and most durable o-rings available.

Best Regards
Anders Nilsson, Sweden

Jonas TRACHSEL
Experienced User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, 21 February, 2014 - 21:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Anders

First of all: Welcome on board this RR Forum. You will meet a lot of very knowledgeable, helpful people here.
Now to your problem: Please accept my commiserations for your engine starting to leak from the weep holes. But please accept the consolation that this is no reason to tear an otherwise sound engine apart. Most all RR and B owners learn to live with this "ailment".
To rectify this leakage means a complete tear-down of the engine. Only if other reasons exist for a complete engine rebuild it is worth doing this very involved operation. You easily can damage your engine block by trying to pull the cylinder liners cold. I recommend you to read Tee-One-Topics Issue 86 of June 2009 and the following numbers 87 and 88. These Tee-One-Topics can be found here: http://rrtechnical.info/TeeOne/teeone.htm
Hope this is of interest to you.
Jonas

Philip Sproston
Experienced User
Username: phil2025

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, 01 March, 2014 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just been through this exercise. Genuine seals are the way to go. They are newer style material. Do you realise that the rebuild is worth more that the car and has to be done by an experienced RR mechanic or workshop. Cost efficient way of fixing the problem is to tap the weep holes with a 3/16th Whitworth tap carefully and fit stainless steel grub screws. Put some good quality Stop Leak in the radiator (we use Wynns) and cross your fingers that the water doesn't go past the lower o'rings into the sump. Now start saving up to do the job properly

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, 02 March, 2014 - 09:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Anders
Please also read the articles in KDA132 by Stephen Boddice and David Chaundy in regard to changing engine liner seals in V8 engines and subsequent coolant additions to the engine.
Regards
David

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2997
Posted on Sunday, 02 March, 2014 - 21:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Anders,

David's and Stephe's notes on coolants are really very important, and could explain why you have leakage now.

As to your comment on conventional o-rings, are you worried that they are being offered at a low price ? The parts UE8581 and UE8582 were upgraded by Crewe’s supplier just a few years back, and now carry a new part number (starting with UV) in conjunction with the old part number, but all are now of the material which tolerates oil, ethylene glycol and propylene glycol with the various inhibitors. The material was modified in light of new coolants, but only a brave person would mess around with coolants as Stephe warns. I expect that Crewe upgraded the materials silently in response to Stephe’s near disaster. However, I personally warn against any coolants other than the conventional ethylene glycol with IAT inhibitors for now.

The Crewe franchisees and the major aftermarket firms will only sell the latest and best liner seals (by the way, Crewe sources its liner seals from the largest UK independent wholesaler of RR/B spares which is also the second-largest retailer). Without naming the Companies, you must know to whom I refer. They and their partners stand by the o-rings, but there are some others out there selling these parts of a lesser quality so beware. That the prices are so reasonable is a reflection on the integrity of the suppliers, and I am sure that they would cheer if you demand a price hike !!. Any compromise on the quality of liner o-rings would be, you must agree, a nonsense in the sphere of an expensive engine rebuild.

RT.