ABS Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » ABS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Burn
Experienced User
Username: graham

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just discovered after fitting a new bulb in the ABS warning light I have a fault, when I start the engine the light comes on as a check and then goes out. When I drive off it comes back on again and stays on, tested the brakes and no ABS, just lots of tyre smoke.
I'm guessing a wheel sensor failure, any way to check, I'll have a check round tomorrow for loose wires etc. any suggestions gratefully received.
Graham

Kevin Lagden
Frequent User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Might be a long shot, but when I changed over the brake light bulb in my Range Rover, everything lit up like a Xmas tree. Apparently I used the wrong kind of bulb, one with a single point and not two. As a consequence the current arced and threw the transmission out, hence my Xmas tree. The proper bulb quickly sorted it.
Thank the lord I don't have these issues on my Shadow as it's all old school mechanics and non of this ABS computer stuff. Good luck

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 369
Posted on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 - 16:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Graham,
Go to each wheel and look at the serrated teeth and sensors. Clean these if they are dirty. Inspect for broken teeth or problems with the sensor reading equal pulses for each wheel. Look at the connections as you have already stated and then come back to us with an update.
Thanks
Omar

Graham Burn
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 - 18:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys for your suggestions, unfortunately my garage is full of dead cars and it's peeing down today but if it stops I'll have the wheels off and check out her undercarriage, I did notice a bit of a rats nest of wires around one of the front wheels when I was under there recently so will go there first.
I'll let you know how I get on when the rain stops
Thanks
Graham

Graham Burn
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 - 23:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Checked the fronts and all the wiring is OK, put my multimeter across the sensor on ohms and as the wheel is rotated the resistance pulses so I guess they are OK, going to do the same with the rears and will report back with my findings
Graham

Graham Burn
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, 27 September, 2013 - 01:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, couldn't turn the wheel at the back like I did at the front as I couldn't find the sensor plugs for the rear wheel sensors so picked it up at the ECU plug and the offside one gave just under 1K like the fronts but the nearside one was open circuit so I'm guessing that's the problem.
I'd like to check the wiring to the rear wheel sensors but like I said I don't know where the plugs are, the location drawing I have shows them inside the back of the car but not exactly where.
I don't really want to buy a new sensor only to find the plug has come undone or something similar.
Thanks
Graham

Graham Burn
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, 27 September, 2013 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found the plugs under the back seat and testing there I get just under 1K like the others so looks like either a bad connection at the plug or a wire break between the ECU and the plug. Have to carry on checking tomorrow, hopefully it's something simple.
Graham

Graham Burn
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, 28 September, 2013 - 06:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Partial success today, cleaned the plug for the nearside rear sensor which was showing open circuit at the ECU and got a good reading there so all 4 sensors showed the same at the ECU, just under 1K,
Light on with ignition then off with the engine started, set off up the road and the light stayed off for about 3 or 4 miles then after I'd reversed at a shop the light came on again.
After that it came on very soon after moving off, beginning to wonder now if a sensor is failing as it heats up?
Thanks
Graham

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, 28 September, 2013 - 13:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Graham,
The fact that the light went out when you interfered with one sensor and its associated wiring narrows it down to that one sensor and its wires. It is possible that the connetions associated with that one sensor are not perhaps ideal.
I would be inclined to look in that same area of the overall system again.
Good luck

Graham Burn
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, 28 September, 2013 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes that's what I was thinking, I'll have another go at the plug and see what gives, back to work after the weekend so I'll be away for 5 weeks, I'd like to sort it before I go though.
Thanks
Graham