Wiper Motors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Wiper Motors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, 24 August, 2004 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am getting quite concerned about the rate of wipe on my Spur. If it gets any slower I will have to wear a string of pearls and wave in unison. I suspect a crook earth or do these 1984 versions have some inbuilt fault. Later (1988?) Spirits I think had a motor change is this better and can you easily upgrade the older versions?

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, 05 September, 2004 - 07:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sending you an e-mail answer.
Please review.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, 05 September, 2004 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Msg received thanks which I replied to. For the benefit of readers Bill's suggestion is to lubricate the wiper spindles by oiled wick and run for 15 minutes. I'll certainly be giving it a try! Thanks again.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, 26 November, 2004 - 05:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What is current status???

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, 26 November, 2004 - 07:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am curious Bill you seem to have just done a complete audit of past questions. Anyhow the wiper saga was interesting. Your oiling routine did improve the speed somewhat. But then the things stopped altogether. So I went down the road of the thimble and pea routine with the three relays and got totally illogical results. I gave up and hied me and the car to my electrical genius at the local Lee and Thomas. The motor was in good nick and appeared to have done little work judging by the brushes. But the main upper bush was/is quite worn. This takes all the strain of the push/pull work to be done. But the contacts on the plastic drive wheel inside turned out to be the real embuggerance. The wheel is slightly distorted and the contacts are iffy. My sparks put the thing back together with care and they are working very well indeed including having a quite exhilarating fast wipe. But I am on borrowed time. Introcar tell me they have rebuilt units for GBP99 which suggests to me that someone has or makes spares parts for the units and that is something I would like to follow up as there are surely going to be a lot of these things starting to fail and here the new replacement is AUD680! I also have hopes of getting another defunct motor and playing with it to see about making the bits. Seems the bits required are the top bush, the cover and the plastic contact wheel.