Airbag Warning, SZ cars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Airbag Warning, SZ cars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2898
Posted on Monday, 09 September, 2013 - 21:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

In the absence of Mastercheck etc test equipment it is indeed possible to clear the AIRBAG warning.

On cars before 1993MY (ie before SZ Chassis 42,000) there is a harness with a socket at its end dangling to the outer side of the fuse panel. This is the airbag diagnostic socket, and the centre pin is connected to a green wire. On later cars the socket is connected to a plug leading to the overall Mastercheck diagnostic etc socket in or adjacent to the fuse panel.

To gain access, the fuse panel needs to be loosened and pushed downwards and to one side.

On later cars it is easiest to disconnect this plug and socket for diagnosis.
In either case, take a switch of any sort with a pair of leads attached. Preferaby attach aligator clips to the leads. With the ignition turned off, attach one side of the test switch to the chassis and the other to the green wire on the airbag diagnostic socket. You could attach it to the Mastercheck socket on later cars but there are too many pins and too close together for comfort in my book.

Put the test switch to the closed position. Turn on the ignition and count to three before turning off the switch. The dash panel will then be in AIRBAG DIAGNOSTIC mode and blink codes will appear. For the airbag system the codes all start with three blinks. If the second blink not a single blink (ie not 3-1-x-x), then there is no present fault in the system. For up to 22 hours after a fault has cleared the code will be 3-3-2-1. If there are three blinks followed by a long pause, then the system has no faults. Once the system is reset, it shoul read 3-5 and a long pause.

Record the blink codes. After each code is recorded, flick the test switch on and off briefly to progress to the next code.

Once the codes are all read they will repeat themselves in sequence. If you are satisfied that there is no remaining fault in the airbag system, turn the test switch on for 12 seconds to clear the messages.

This all arose because I stupidly turned on the ignition with the speedo and tacho disconnected to test the new dashboard LEDs. That activates the AIRBAG warning.

RT.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Monday, 09 September, 2013 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good work around. :-)

Ignition turned on at the wrong time . . . very easy mistake. Same with the wheel or seats out. As soon as year hear the beep, . . bugger!

I always disconnect the battery now just to try and prevent it happening.

Cheers, Paul.