Anti-theft siren Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Anti-theft siren « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, 04 September, 2013 - 18:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning to one and all. Another little foible. My '84 Spirit has been retro-fitted with remote locking, which is very handy and useful. The bit that does the business is housed in a black rubber fob, with a small rubber ring that holds the key-ring. The rubber has now split, so I have the fob, and the key-ring, in separate pieces. Pain.

If I lock the car with the fob, but open it with the key - the alarm goes off. Ditto vice versa. It also goes off for no obvious reason. I can find no dedicated fuse for it, but I wish to stop the alarm working at all. Is there a simple way of doing that? Save my sanity, please ... !

Rod
'84 Spirit

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 358
Posted on Thursday, 05 September, 2013 - 04:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Rod,
If it was me, this is what I would do.
I would take the existing unit and bin it. I would buy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Universal-Remote-Control-Central-Door-Lock-Kit-Locking-Keyless-Entry-System-/300746553696

And also a second unit as a complete spare.
I would install this device using all the existing wiring to only activate the locks. This will give me a perfect remote control locking system for a mere $32 and if I lose one remote controller, The spare box will have another two units still untouched.

Good luck
Omar

James Feller
Grand Master
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, 06 September, 2013 - 02:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar gives the best advice Rod,

If its an 80's car alarm it will be just a simple device with a horn set up somewhere in the engine bay id say. Best advice is bin the whole lot, they were rubbish then and still are now.
if its imperative you have screeching alarms Omar points in a good direction... a discreet 'kill switch' or engine immobiliser far more effective on our vintage toys these days.

J

James Feller
Grand Master
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, 06 September, 2013 - 02:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

sorry guys....I have just noticed your system in the Rolls seems a bit more advanced than what I first thought...apologies for my rant about those terrible 80's screeching alarms...lol
remote locking is yes very handy we are all used to it in our 'modern cars'...again Omar is one the money.

J

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, 06 September, 2013 - 05:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Omar and James - I hear what you say, guys, and it would appear that the various bits could be mounted anywhere? I was hoping there'd be a standard place - if I can't switch the siren thing off, then I plan to simply disconnect it - I have no quarrel with the rest of the system! But where is the little blighter? Having no lift makes it a bit tricky to locate. But thanks for the griff ...

Stay well

Rod
'84 Spirit

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 359
Posted on Saturday, 07 September, 2013 - 03:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Rod, I dont know where it is on your car. I hope someone who knows the 84 Spirits can help.
Thanks
Omar

Ernest Carty
Experienced User
Username: edcarty

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, 10 September, 2013 - 21:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar try looking behind the inner wheel arch liners ,not sure if your car is LHD /on RHD cars this is situated behind the Drivers side front wheel arch liner .Hope this helps.Also did you ever get round to checking the wiring on the EOBD to Mastercheck sockets on your Turbo as any help would be appreciated as I am trying to make up a lead to use EOBD scanner and will gladly share this info on the forum.Thanks

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Wednesday, 11 September, 2013 - 00:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

. Dear Roderick,

As yours is a custom system, best is to find people who know the brand fitted and have them remove it. The bits could be located just about anywhere on the vehicle.

As Omar suggests the whole system is now best binned. About 15 years ago I fitted a VDO (Siemens) Gentil ParkLok Fernbediensschlusssysteme (German stuff) setup to my Turbo R, but avoided connecting the alarm, window closing, immobiliser and the other sundry functions as I knew that they would cause stress at some time. As I fitted that myself, any autoelectrician will hate me if asked to fault-find if it fails for a future owner.

On my Continental R I wish I could easily trash the factory-installed system and put a simple lock-unlock remote as is implemented on the Turbo

RT.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, 11 September, 2013 - 04:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Richard,
When I bought my Continetal R (at auction - what you see is what you buy) it only came with a key. No remote control, although it had a factory fitted system already installed. In effect, it was just like your car but no remote controller to activate the locks remotely. I bought one of these cheap remote controllers and interfaced it with the existing system. It works well. I have had the alarm go off once since then but I disconnected the battery and it all worked fine after I reconnected it.

Ernest Carty
Experienced User
Username: edcarty

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, 11 September, 2013 - 08:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,Omar thanks for your reply I am very gratefull to you for your assistance with regard to specific details I am very interested in the cable colours and the pin locations,also i belive a changeover switch is fitted to allow both Mastercheck and OBD to be read respctively so this wiring will also be of great help.Thanks once again you are a true Enthusiast and a Gentleman.Regards Ernest.