Knurled nuts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Knurled nuts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2013 - 01:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A little thing has annoyed me for many moons, and I hope someone may have the answer! The windscreen wiper mechanism cover on my '84 Spirit (black plastic affair) is held in place by two knurled nuts, about an inch in diameter, which I think are 5/16" UNF.

Of course, one got dropped and has never been seen since. Vanished. Gone. Simple to put on an ordinary nut, of course, but it niggles me ... does anyone know where I can get a replacement, please?

Thanks!

Rod
'84 Spirit

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2013 - 04:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If nobody comes up with a nut for you, let me know and i will see if I have one in my scrapper Bentley round the back of the house. If it still has it, you can have one on me Rod. give it a week or so - if no respones, PM me and I will go and have a look.
Thanks
Omar

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2013 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I say, that's extraordinarily decent of you, Omar. I will keep a watch for a while in hope that someone stocks them, but if not then all is not lost! (Except the one I dropped!).

I am sad that your beautiful Bentley should no longer be a runner, though ...

Many thanks ...

Rod
'84 Spirit

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 346
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2013 - 05:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Rod,
The scrapper Bentley paid for itself time and again. I bought it in rough cosmetic shape - a Japanese import. I used the engine and the rear subframe on my proper Bentleys. Either one of those two items would have been more expensive to buy than the car itself. The rest has been a source of cheap parts for me. I even have parts from this car that are suitable for my Shadow and Wraiths (like the blower motors, AC evaporator, horns, wheels steering rack etc). Having a junker in your fleet is a sound expenditure.

James Feller
Grand Master
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 313
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2013 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

more often than not Rod the bloody things never drop straight through to the ground instead they lodge somewhere in the black vortex that is the rear of the engine and firewall somewhere.....very very annoying I totally agree with you.
Omar what a wonderful offer! that scrapper you speak of I hope is not your 91' Turbo RL.....sniff sniff if it is...ill send a box of Kleenex

J

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2013 - 05:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hahaha.... No James. It is a source of parts for the Turbo RL. It is a 91 TurboR

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2013 - 05:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2013 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar.
A very Beautiful car health to enjoy.

Richard.

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, 22 August, 2013 - 21:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Too right, James! That's what happened, slipped from Frank's fingers as he unscrewed it, heard it clink a couple of times, then nothing. Not on the floor. The magnetic probes (such useful gadgets as a rule!) merely clung to everything they touched (I can vouch that they won't lift the engine out), and we couldn't spot it with the mirror on a stick either! We know it's there, but I fear it's going to have to stay there!

Maddening thing is, it's the sort of thing I used to turn out by the thousand when I had my little engineering business - I made small parts for the automotive industry (mostly very high tensile stuff). Ggrrr!

Omar - what a contrast! But your scrapper still retains her dignified air, and what a nice way to go! Loved and respected to the end ...

Stay well

Rod
'84 Spirit

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2013 - 06:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Rod,
I went to the scrapper and saw that the wiper cover was there - but it was held on by normal nuts. I was disappointed. As I have built your hopes up, I will not disappoint you. I will get the boys in the machine shop to make you a new one. It will take them literally minutes to make. So here is your opportunity to select your material. Aluminium, bronze, stainless, duplex stainless, doouble duplex, monel, wood, PTFE............... the world is your oyster.
Let me know what you would like and dont be shy to ask for 2 if you select anything other than Aluminium.
Thanks
Omar

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2013 - 06:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi omar,

I've found one to send to Rod with his clips.

But . . I'd love a matching pair in gold :-)

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, 23 August, 2013 - 22:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Paul,
luv the cheeky side of you mate!!!
That material and one or two others of a similar ilk are not available in our indstrial workshop..... strange as it may seem!! If you supply the raw material, we will turn them out for you..... the swarf will be worth treating slightly different to Aluminium though....
Nice to have such good cheer and commraderie on the forum.
All the best to all
Omar

Chris Buckenham
Experienced User
Username: chris_buckenham

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2013 - 08:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And I will happily make a batch and everybody can have a few spares.
How is the head gasket Omar ?
Best regards,
Chris

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 352
Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2013 - 14:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Chris,
Nice of you to offer your nuts to all.......................(hahaha) - and also nice of you to ask about the head gasket on my Continental R.
I have not driven the car over the summer as it does get very very hot here, so I really dont know yet.
One thing that is annoying, however, is the time it takes for the engine to start since the gaskets have been replaced. It used to start after 2 seconds of cranking before the gaskets were replaced. Now it can be upwards of 10 seconds.
Looking forward to seeing you again the next time you are Dubai.
Omar

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2013 - 23:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, you are a King among men! Interesting that you have your own machine-shop! Chris too - I bet we could actually make a whole load of handy bits between us! As Paul said, he had one so is putting it in with the sill trim clips ... love the idea of gold ones though - sort of Mr: Goldfinger ...

Maybe just lack of use with the slow starting? My Spirit tends to crank away for several seconds if she's not been used for a few days - if used the day before, I hardly have time to turn the key! She used to get hot too, when the temperature was in the mid to high 30s, going uphill in traffic in Angouleme, the needle would be at the top of the white scale. So I reverse-flushed the cooling system - lots of brown gunk that eventually went clear, and she's fine now, never gets anywhere near the top of the white scale. Worth a try?

My thanks to all who have helped Echo get her proper nuts back ...

Rod
'84 Spirit