Trim clips Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Trim clips « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Frequent User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, 16 August, 2013 - 00:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all ... twice now, I've opened my door after a run to find the trim strip along the body underneath the doors hanging on by the rearmost 3 or 4 clips. I suppose they have become hardened with age or something, and are losing their capacity to hold firm.

They look a bit like bullets, I guess the blunt end is shaped to fit in the rear groove of the strip, and the sharp end plugs into holes in the bodywork, and it's this that is giving way. New 'bullets' would be the answer, but can't find any. Anyone know if they're still available, and from whom, please? Hate to lose that strip - how does one transport something 6 feet long and an inch wide? A flimsy inch, to boot. Meanwhile, it gets a tap every time I get in the car ...

Stay well

Rod
'84 Spirit

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 598
Posted on Friday, 16 August, 2013 - 01:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod,

Not knowing where you are located on the globe, this may involve "going international," but Restoration Specialties in Windber, PA, might be a good place to start. Take a look at this online catalog page and you can see they definitely carry the sort of thing you're looking for. They'd have to know the actual size and end configurations on the rubber fasteners, but it's quite likely they have them.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 858
Posted on Friday, 16 August, 2013 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Not knowing where you are located on the globe"

Rod lives in France re log in details!

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, 16 August, 2013 - 05:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod.
I got some last year from Flying spares cant remember what price they were hope this helps.

Richard.

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, 16 August, 2013 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Richard, yes it does - I didn't see them catalogued anywhere, but I'll ask now. It's often the little things that are hard to find.

Hello to Brian too - in France (as you have sussed!) as Patrick says. Had a look at the link, thank you, but nowt anywhere near the right shape listed. I don't even know the R-R part no:. I'll try Flying Spares tomorrow.

Stay well, all

Rod
'84 Spirit

Ernest Carty
Experienced User
Username: edcarty

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, 16 August, 2013 - 07:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Roderick, If Flying spares dont have the clips you require you can also try Introcar,this firm has several outlets in Europe ,I believe they have an outlet in Belguim but check first with there UK branch.Hope this helps.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Friday, 16 August, 2013 - 08:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, about £15 for a set.

However, if the strip is coming away from the front wing then you will need a new trap stud Jr well. This holds the front on linand a tab holds the back on.

These two fixings do 90 percent of the work.

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, 17 August, 2013 - 05:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Paul, does that mean you have the little blighters? Yes, the front stud comes away first (I imagine) and the rest peel off over time.

Forgot we were out today ... also made the mistake of dumping the grass from the trailer this morning, which brought on a fit of hay-fever. Feeling very sorry for myself, and haven't got on to Flying Spares yet - I'll try Introcar too, Ernest, if no joy ... but maybe Paul has them!

Thanks to all ... Oh, I've found a mobile valeting service! He's coming next Tuesday - see how we get on! He offers a hand-waxing too (extra!) but I need to know what wax is involved. Any ideas on that? She's not been done for 4 years ...

Rod
'84 Spirit

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Saturday, 17 August, 2013 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod,

I usually have some in stock.

The trapped studs go fairly often unfortunately.

People should keep an eye on them because they will damage the strip and can make the wing rust if left to go too far.

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, 17 August, 2013 - 18:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Paul, I would like a full set of them, including the front and rearmost, if that's possible please? Or join your waiting list if not available now. Invoice when ready (Paypal) - do you still have my postal address?

Thanks!

Rod
'84 Spirit

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Saturday, 17 August, 2013 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod,

will do.

The rear clips don't usually have a problem. They are just spring plates pop riveted to the sill.

If I haven't got your address, it should come up with Paypal.

Regards, Paul.