1982 Spirit Anti rollbar / stabiliser... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 1982 Spirit Anti rollbar / stabiliser bar « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, 04 August, 2013 - 04:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone advise whether it is worthwhile fitting the Turbo R front rollbar onto an early Spirit ?I fitted this heavier bar to my Shadow 1 together with Bilstein shocks with a huge improvement in road manners. My Spirit already has bilstein front shocks. All comments welcome.
Mark

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2878
Posted on Sunday, 04 August, 2013 - 23:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Definitely. It makes a huge difference.

Front-rear balance is improved along with steering response. If the car is earlier than Chassis 2971, best fit Turbo R rear antiroll bar links to the front at least (solid ball joints instead of rubber) at the same time. Later cars have solid skewed links at the front and rubber-filled links to the rear antiroll bar. The Crewe solid links on the front of later cars are skewed left and right. For a R-R car before Chassis 2971 you will need the straight links UR27357 as used on Turbo R rear stabilisers to replace the straight rubber links (UR13778). There are aftermarket ones available for all three types – straight, skewed left and skewed right - too. Solid UR27357 links front and rear, ie all four, will complete the package for a R-R before Chassis 2971, or just the two new UR27357 links for later cars.

Check the spares manual in www.rrtechnical.info to se what it all means.

RT.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, 06 August, 2013 - 20:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard ,thanks for the info. The chassis on my car is 03372 so will check the links and look for a Turbo R rollbar.
Mark

Graham Burn
Experienced User
Username: graham

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, 11 August, 2013 - 02:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, any info on the aftermarket links you mentioned for the Turbo R as the prices for the originals is steep, the boots on mine have gone and I think they're OK but if not when I get them off I may need some, for the time being I'm hoping to get away with new boots and a good dollop of grease!
Graham
1987 Turbo R

Graham Burn
Experienced User
Username: graham

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, 20 October, 2013 - 11:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just by means of an update, fortunately my links were OK, fitted new boots and a blob of grease, incidentally when I took them off I noted that the old boots had a BMW part number on them so does that mean they were also fitted to a BMW?
Graham

Ernest Carty
Experienced User
Username: edcarty

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, 21 October, 2013 - 02:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Older jaguar (mk 10) may well fit and are a lot cheaper.check sizes first.hope this helps