Zytek vs 3.3 Motronic EMS Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Zytek vs 3.3 Motronic EMS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Grand Master
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, 04 July, 2013 - 18:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Knowledgeable folk.....

WRT to Bentley Turbos....its my understanding that MY 94-95 were bespoke and a slight stand alone with Zytek engine management systems as opposed to earlier Bosch Motronic from 88-93 and then MY 96-98 reverted back to Bosch, thus the very reliable 3.3 Bosch Motronic EMS till end of production. I cannot comment on RR but probably they had this as well.
My question is...I've been hearing a few rumbles that the 'Zytek era' thus 94-95 mY cars can give some bother wrt the EMS system becoming troublesome now? parts and boards are very hard if not impossible to get hold of if things go to snuff...Anyone who has a Turbo of this era, what are your experiences? I certainly know from experience with my older 89 Turbo its EMS first generation of digital motronic was bullet proof and never gave me a days trouble....
Anyone care to comment or can speak from experience re Zytek cars?
Cheers

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Thursday, 04 July, 2013 - 21:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James , there are some problems with both.

However, I think the Zytek are trickier to repair and rarer.

James Feller
Grand Master
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, 08 July, 2013 - 17:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul,

I think I may have actually mucked up my references. I believe the last of the Bentleys had Zytek EMS.

In your experience Paul what have been some of the problems you have encountered?

J

John McGhee
Experienced User
Username: jam

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, 10 July, 2013 - 14:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James,

I hope you are enjoying your time in the UK.

I did a bit of investigating into Zytek when I was looking at a 1995 Turbo S last year as I had similar concerns. It seems that from '96 all of the Turbo cars had this module.

The only written comment I found in my research was a note from a US service company called JE Robison in Massachusetts. I won't quote it here but if you do a Google on JE Robison and add in "Evolution of the modern Rolls Royce and Bentley Models" you will find the article. He is not what you would call a fan of Zytek. Having said that, I have no idea whether or not his company is reputable/reliable, but he did go to the trouble of writing his thoughts down so I thought it worth a read.

I would add that the comments were not going to stop me buying the Turbo S, I just got beaten to the punch!

I recall one of the UK parts houses (sorry, can't remember which but def not FS) said they had decided to make RRMC EMS their 'baby' because they felt that the speed with which the specification of the units was changed over a short period of time (something like four different EMS packages in as many years or thereabouts) would make it a problem for repairers, so it seems that help will be on the way. The cost of a monopolistic servicer would be hideous by definition, but I guess that's better than being stuck with two and a half tonnes of decoration or trying to retrofit carburettors!!

Not sure THE answer exists. Have fun looking, I'm interested to hear what turns up.

Regards

John

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Wednesday, 10 July, 2013 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James , seems to be the signal to one or more coils go missing giving a missfire.

Some have been the output transistor for each cylinders.

I feel that connections maybe a problem though. most calls are for this and I always say check the pins etc . I advise that we can do a manual and visual check of the circuit boards which often reveal faults but can not test the unit unless a similar car is available.

Most we do not hear from again. whether it is because they are cured or if it is because of a lack of test rig - we never hear .

Ernest Carty
New User
Username: edcarty

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, 10 July, 2013 - 23:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes all cars in UK 95-98 use Zyteck

Ernest Carty
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, 10 July, 2013 - 23:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know the pinouts of the Masterchech socket to OBD11 socket as used in US cars?If so a lead could be made up to enable the use of a OBD11 Scanner to read faults.A thread was started sometime ago by Lluios but it has since gone cold any help would be beneficial to all members of the forum,so Please help .Thanks

Michael Hicks
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, 11 July, 2013 - 07:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been trying this for 12 Months and no reply
can we put Motronic back on ????
I am thinking of putting a stand alone unit on
Michael

Ernest Carty
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, 11 July, 2013 - 20:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

not sure about that one as the Zyteck uses more sensors in the system ,therefore it could lead to faults coming into the system even causing a serious chain of events.A stand alone system would have to totally isolated from the original otherwise a conflict of management would occur.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2858
Posted on Thursday, 11 July, 2013 - 22:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ernest,

The concern is not just the rarity of the Zytek systems, but the variants too.

For example, just 75 motors were produced to the Continental S/Turbo S/Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit S specification, 12, 60 and 3 respectively). This was the swansong of the short wheelbase cars, and a mighty one.

75 motors. That is a one-off in automotive terms.

Fantastic cars, and extremely reliable. However, all three Turbo S cars known in Australia have been laid up for six months each over the past two years with ECU problems. A great and well-known firm in the UK repairs them (for Crewe and everyone else), but it takes enormous effort to programme the system mapping after the hardware (of mediocre quality in the first place) has been repaired. Zytek is just not interested after being dumped for Bosch with the Arnage 6750s After a very small partnership with Crewe and Cosworth.

Love my Motronic Conti R and Jetronic Turbo R ! I would love a Conti S more, but would run that certainty that sometime it will be out of action for a long time and lots of five-digit dollars.

RT.

Ernest Carty
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2013 - 05:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard ,Yes it may well have been that only 75 cars of the short wheelbase were produced but a greater number of Turbo R long wheelbase were produced using Zytek. perhaps some research into part references may throw some light on availability also it may be worth contacting Ben at Flying Spares in the UK as he is very knowledgeble .hope this helps

Max Lynn Christenson
New User
Username: max_christenson

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, 13 April, 2014 - 03:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As I mentioned in previous discussions, I'm looking to buy a Rolls-Royce. Based on this discussion of Zytek, it looks like a buyer should not buy a car with the Zytek EMS. According to J.E. Robison, a Rolls-Royce mechanic business in the USA, referred to in the above references, service and support is a big problem with the Zytek system. It seems that Robison could not get service from Zytek. Here is the Robison link discussing Zytek:

http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/evolution.asp

The Zytek system is mentioned in this link in the discussion about cars from 1996 and on. Again, lack of service and support from Zytek seems to be the problem.

So, is it best to steer clear of a car with a Zytek system, and prefer a car with the Bosch system?