1982 Spirit radiator electric fan Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 1982 Spirit radiator electric fan « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2013 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone point me in the direction of the wiring diagram relating to the radiator electric cooling fan on a 1982 Spirit. Have looked in the tech library but cant find it ( maybe its the shock of seeing sunshine in the UK ). Help appreciated.
Mark

Roderick Waite
Frequent User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, 16 May, 2013 - 21:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Mark, one of those obscure items. There's nothing in the 'Cooling System' section (section L) of the Workshop Manual, so it would probably be in the 'Electrical System' (section M) that extends over 2 volumes. My '84 Spirit has one fan seized solid, and one that works, but hardly ever (if ever) does. Getting at them is complicated in true RR fashion, so I just leave them alone ...

Rod

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, 17 May, 2013 - 04:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have only seen the fans run twice on my 1985 car. There are in fact very easy to acces, just remove the 5 screws holding the grille, then lift off the grill. The fans are bolted on a frame nehind the grille. The fans (the twins) are generic Flexalite 10 inch fans, also available under the summitracing brand http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g4910 for very little money.

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, 19 May, 2013 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Daniel! 5 screws? Accessed from where, please? Has to be under-bonnet! Might just be the incentive to get me to take the grill off - there's a bit of presumably padding strip that persists in popping out from under the radiator grill no matter how carefully I stuff it back in. Might as well sort out the fans at the same time!

Thanks!

Rod Waite
'84 Spirit

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 371
Posted on Sunday, 19 May, 2013 - 11:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod,

See the Workshop Manual, Chapter S, page S15-3 [PDF pg. 141].

On the SY cars there are 5 screws, but it looks like there are only 3 on the SZ series (or at least the ones of your car's era). The items shown as #2 & #3 were two screws that went into captive nuts (if memory serves) for the SY grille shell. It appears they replaced these with a more sensible "drop on" ring and post system.

Brian

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, 20 May, 2013 - 18:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Brian! It doesn't seem much to hold it in place, but obviously it's more than enough! Thus advised, I'll look into getting a new 10" fan as well, for which info thanks to Daniel. Going out in her tomorrow (she's going to get wet, the weather is awful), but after that ...

Stay well, one and all

Rod
'84 Spirit