LP hydraulic hoses Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » LP hydraulic hoses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Frequent User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, 30 March, 2013 - 02:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having spotted a few drips of suspiciously green oil on the garage floor, investigation showed it was emanating from one of several hoses on the right hand side of the engine, all secured to pipes with jubilee clips - so not high pressure. With some difficulty, tightened all the clips I could reach and waited a day. No more drip. BUT I had noted that the hose rubber was hard, so looked into replacing them - 4 are associated with the accumulators, and 2 with the steering. I discovered they're priced around £40 each (plus delivery to me in France, which adds about £4 per hose. Ouch! Has anyone come up with a satisfactory alternative, please? They're quite short, and small bore, non-high pressure, so I'd expect them to be relatively easy to get? And nowhere near £40 a foot, hopefully!

Thanks!

Rod
'84 Spirit

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, 30 March, 2013 - 12:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod,

For the low pressure accumulator-to-reservoir return hoses you should be able to use any SAE J30R9 fuel hose in the correct inner diameter. This is resistant to mineral oil as well as petrol.

The steering hoses should be the same as transmission oil cooler hoses since these cars use Dexron transmission fluid for the power steering. These hoses should meet SAE J1019 specification and can carry either transmission or power steering fluids without issue.

Actually, looking at this Materials Compatibility Chart it looks like the transmission oil cooler hose could be used for both of your applications.

Both of the above noted hose types have cost per foot far, far less than the amount you've quoted for a single OEM hose.

Brian

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, 01 April, 2013 - 05:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Brian - this is precisely what I hoped to find out! We will proceed for the higher spec. The hose bore measures at 10mm (ie: the diameter of the metal tubes they connect). All we need now is a car lift ... !

Stay well

Rod
'84 Spirit

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2013 - 05:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Evening all ... I see I failed to report back on my problem! I obtained a coil of SAE J1019 10mm hose for £24 delivered to France, enough to do all 6 low pressure hoses with some to spare. With new stainless clips ... the old clips were ordinary steel, the last one being absolutely solid (isn't it always the way?). Trying to loosen it, broke the bakelite cover of the connection piece on the accumulator. Can't have a new cover, have to buy the whole thing - which is a part exchange item. £200 including delivery and the charge (£25) pending return of the old unit. Moral is not to break the thing in the first place. On the other hand, I did save over £200 on the hoses ... can't have it all, I suppose ...

All now OK and Echo is happy again ...

Rod
'84 Spirit

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2013 - 09:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi rod, I believe they are the same as the Citroen ones and you'd think France would be littered with them and you could shoe one to take the part off!

Alternatively, I May have a used one here if you haven't already ordered one.

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2013 - 17:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning Paul. Never thought of that! Just took it that Citroen pressures are very different so all the parts would be too. Oh well - I did get one of the costly ones, now fitted, but didn't send the old one back as the carriage cost made it not worth while. Live and learn (hopefully!).

Stay well

Rod
'84 Spirit

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, 07 May, 2013 - 07:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod,

For the return hoses, where calling them "low pressure" is an overstatement, there is essentially no pressure involved.

For this application it would be possible to use completely unreinforced hosing made of mineral oil resistant material.

However, since reinforced SAE J1019 spec hose is available virtually anywhere, cheaply, and it works it's the "go to" alternative.

Brian

P.S. All you've got to worry about as far as high pressure hoses are two things: Is the burst strength at least a bit above system operating pressures (most are) and is the "carrier tube" part compatible with the fluid it will carry. These days PTFE core steel braid reinforced high pressure hoses are the thing to use whether you have an HSMO or RR363 system, since the PTFE is inert.