Door Lamp Switches? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Door Lamp Switches? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John McGhee
Experienced User
Username: jam

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, 29 March, 2013 - 18:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,

Driving along the other day with all four doors of 55208 firmly closed, I noticed that the interior lights remained on.

I stopped for coffee and the problem seemed to go away, so I initially thought it might be related to caffiene.

However, fast forward to today and while doing some OCD cleaning around the sills (and opening/closing the doors many times) I noticed that the interior lights were burning brightly with all doors firmly shut and locked.

(I used to think the battery isolation switch was quaint, but I am now a true believer)

Here's the thing... in most cars, and fridges, there is an obvious little plastic light switch of sorts that does the job.

I have spent twenty minutes perusing both the front and rear doors and cannot for the life of me see where the switch is, micro or otherwise.

This may well be the simplest question of the week, but any pointers as to where the little buggers are on a Spirit would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

John

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, 29 March, 2013 - 20:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello John,

I'm not sure if the set up on your car is the same as mine, a late Shadow 2, but the light switch on the dash where you turn on your side lights and head lights doubles as the interior light switch if you pull the switch knob outwards. Just make sure the switch knob is pressed fully in and you may find this solves your problem. Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Chris

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 468
Posted on Friday, 29 March, 2013 - 21:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If that doesn't fix the problem then on the Shadow 1 the (front) door micro switches are mounted on the jamb on the hinge side. All that can be seen is a small chromed plate with a tiny button protruding from it. Inside you will find a very small and exceedingly fragile assembly that is almost impossible to repair. I did one once, but my manual dexterity has gone severely downhill of late and I shall have to bite the bullet and buy a new one soon. However looking at the design I would normally expect them to fail by not working at all rather than being stuck in the on position, although anything that can happen certainly will happen at some time.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, 29 March, 2013 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

JOhn you can look long and hard as you like for microswitches but you will not see any... in SZ cars they are in the doorcatches. ie the round chrome lug that the catch catches when you shut the door closes a circuit and thus the car knows the door is closed. Your car being a Sprirt 3 will have about an 10 sec courtesy delay after you have closed the door. If they have not gone off after this either a door or the boot must still be open or not closed properly. Otherwise yes you may have pulled the master light switch out too far as the other 2 posts suggest...
good luck and if you are still stuck PM me and ill talk you through what i mean.

Cheers
J

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2802
Posted on Saturday, 30 March, 2013 - 16:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it's a door catch switch, it is a miniature microswitch (nanoswitch ??) with a rubber dust boot and can be dodgy. I have a mod to fit a standard microswitch. Regardless, removing the door latch assembly is not all that tricky once the door trim (card) and wooden capping have been removed, but putting it back in place whilst engaging the locking mechanism can take seconds. Or hours. Keep a good supply of adhesive plasters and Betadine handy, and don't count on playing the flute for a month.

RT.

John McGhee
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, 31 March, 2013 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks All,

The light switch on my car only rotates, it does not pull out or push in.

The switches on the centre panel are all set to the middle 'off' position, so I sense that is not the issue either.

I hopped in the car yesterday and after starting it up the lights pleasantly went off, but on jumping back out again (and waiting for the courtesy dim function to kick in) there they were, burning like the lighthouse at Christensen Park... Four in the roof, four in the doors. I don't even run that many lights in my boat at the same time and she has four batteries!

I sense that there is a door switch issue, so many thanks to RT for his commentary (luckily I play the drums rather than the flute). Coincidentally, I have no sound from the driver's door speakers so have to remove the card and have a poke around in any event. I will cross my fingers that some wiring associated with the switch has come loose and it will be resolved as simple as that (one does have to be an optimist when playing with a Rolls!).

In the interim I have employed a highly technical solution and removed the interior lights fuse ;-)

Will keep you posted as to what trouble I get into when the door card comes off. 55208 has veneered door panels that are as perfect as the day she was put in the container. Gulp...

Kind regards

JAM

Peter Talbot
Prolific User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, 01 April, 2013 - 00:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John

The light switch on my 1986 Spirit pulls out, which turns on the drivers internal light only.

Before you start taking things apart I suggest you might check the battery condition and voltage available. I had just the same problem with my 1986 Spirit - D41FUL - doors closed, all internal lights still on. Getting rather !!**!! off I floored the pedal and, guess what, the internal lights went off. Checking on, the battery vottage was real low - charged it right up and all is now well.

Peter

John McGhee
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, 01 April, 2013 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Peter,

An excellent suggestion. As I think about it, my lights went off when I had the engine running, but remained on again after I had shut her down. I had read about low batteries doing all sorts of evil things (and can even read about them in my car's maintenance history) but didn't think to connect those particular dots... will have a check tomorrow.

As to the light switch, unless mine is stuck it doesn't seem to move in and out, at least not without taking the dash with it!

Thanks again, I will report back.

John

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, 02 April, 2013 - 20:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John - your interior lamp switches are not in the main headlamp switch. They are mounted on the centre console.
Regards,
Brian

John McGhee
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, 03 April, 2013 - 17:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian,

That is my understanding. There are a pair of switches on the right and left hand side of the centre console. These are set to the middle, or off position.

The car had a good long run yesterday and upon replacing the interior lights fuse I had the same issue, so I sense there is a problem with the driver's door micro/nanoswitch.

I will leave off further investigation until I attend to the stereo!

Many thanks

John

Bea Burn
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.142.116.42
Posted on Thursday, 06 June, 2013 - 17:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are 2 switching systems used for the door operated interior lights, one uses a switch the same as the glove box, boot lid and fuse cover flap and the other uses micro switches. It's easy to see which you have if you open a door and then taking a screwdriver or similar instrument move the latch to the closed position, if you look down into the latch area which was occupied by the locking lever before you moved it and can see a very small metal tag sticking out you have the microswitch type. If there is no tag present you have the other type where the switch is fitted into the base of the lock, either way you have to remove the lock to fix it. I know this as I bought a couple of the latter switches for my car only to find I had the microswith type :-(
As somebody else has said I would have expected a failed switch to not switch on the lights rather than the problem you have. On my car I suspect the delay unit is faulty as I only have the door edge/step lights come on when I open the doors although all the others can be switched manually and on mine the light switch operates the footwell lights! 1987 Turbo R
Good luck
Graham

(Message approved by david_gore)

Graham Burn
Yet to post message
Username: graham

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 22 June, 2013 - 03:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Got my interior lights sorted in the end, first problem I had to fix was a dead short which blew the fuse as soon as a door was opened, this was a trapped wire to the step light in the front passenger door.
After fixing the short the next problem was that only the door edge and step lights came on when a door was opened, although all the other lights could be switched on manually.
This was the delay module which I opened up and found the relay contacts to be so burned that there was no circuit when actuated, a few minutes with a small piece of 1200 grit wet n dry and the relay was making contact when energised, and bingo I now have fully functioning interior lights which go off after a few seconds from closing the door.
BTW when I pull out the lighting switch on my car all the interior lights in the roof and footwells come on.
Graham