Adjusting rear ride height - '89 Turb... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Adjusting rear ride height - '89 Turbo R - « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

A.R. Greenberg
Experienced User
Username: bergxu

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 00:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

Can anyone direct me on the correct procedure to bring the rear ride height of my '89 Turbo R down just a pinch? I read in the workshop manual that it's supposed to be accomplished by plumbing in a pressure gauge and watching for a specific psi to be achieved on the dial, at which point, the ride level is supposed to then be correct. Am I understanding this wrong or is that procedure simply to attain a correct working pressure?

Further reading then hinted to adjusting the leveling arm which is attached to the rear sway bar via a clamp bolt (similar to the setup on an S-Class Merc I suspect). Anyhow, I have access to a drive on ramp, so with a full tank of fuel and the engine idling, is it just a matter of tweaking that link until the rear comes into spec? Approximately how long does it take after moving the link for the vehicle to adjust height? Does it need to be driven after each adjustment to "settle" things?

Thanks all for any help! The arse end of my car is riding abnormally high and, although I notice the dreaded negative camber on the front wheels (hence hinting at a looming overhaul of the front, as I did on my '96), it seems that the attitude of the car's stance can be tidied up with adjustment of the rear end first.

This car is new to me, and I noticed it was sitting awfully high in the photos when I bought it, so this issue isn't something that has just recently popped up out of the blue. It has been like this for who knows how long now...

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 02:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, yes just move the c clamp on the sway bar. Just a tiny bit. 1mm or so and then wait for a few minutes for it to adjust. Keep the engine Running all the time.

You can bounce it up and down to settle it.

A.R. Greenberg
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 02:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul. Will be giving it a whirl once the weather here breaks and the salt is off the roads!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 04:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Aaron,
Paul's advice is spot on.
When he says 1mm - he is not joking.
There is very little movement in that linkage. Be prepared for the linkage to come off the ball and socket joints - if it does, don't panic - it is easy enough to put it all back. Just be calm about it all and be comfortable below the car. Adjust the linkage manually and check the ride height at the back to ensure it looks right. when you are happy, tighten the nuts and that will be the back of the car set.

A.R. Greenberg
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 05:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Thanks for the heads-up. I seem to recall hearing that from my RR guy as well. Fortunately, here at work, we have two or three drive-on ramps, so fiddling with it shouldn't be too much of a pain. It'll be nice to get it out of "dragster" stance!