Rectangular Headlight Seals Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Rectangular Headlight Seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John McGhee
Experienced User
Username: jam

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, 01 March, 2013 - 12:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

55208 had some water in her driver's side headlight after one of the recent Sydney drenchings so I decided to pull out the headlights, give them a clean up and replace all of the seals, including the fiddly seal around the bodywork.

Everything was scrupulously cleaned and new white seals put in place around the headlamps, each with its six metal clips.

Pouring rain in Sydney today and I proudly drove her around the suburbs only to find that BOTH lights now have water in them. I suppose one has to appreciate irony of it all...

Other than changing my last name to Murphy, are there any tips out there? Are we in the habit of using some kind of additional seal/bedding compound on these foam seals or should they do the job neat?

Many thanks in advance.

John

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 455
Posted on Friday, 01 March, 2013 - 22:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the past I've used clear silicone mastic in such situations. It has a very 'high modulus of elasticity' which makes it ideal for sealing joints that are prone to movement or vibration. If you don't want a semi-permanent bond you simply lay a thin even bead on one side of the joint and give it a couple of hours to set so that it acts more like a gasket. Otherwise it can be an absolute bar steward to break the joint if you need to do so in future.

Alternatively you can use ordinary self-adhesive foam door/window draught seal. It only sticks to one surface so the joint can be broken and remade several times before it wears out and is a little easier to remove if it becomes necessary later.

John McGhee
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, 03 March, 2013 - 13:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jan,

I will investigate some sealants. I have a very modern aversion to silicone (although I know there are many types) but do not wish to go down the Sikaflex route. I use that stuff on my boat and once it's on it just isn't coming off again and these lights are far to expensive to experiment on.

Many thanks.

John

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, 04 March, 2013 - 09:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

JOhn, had the same issue with my 86 Spirit years ago when I first bought it. I got tired of the lights fogging up in wet weather too. Now while it was not 'bad' ie it never 'filled' with water they did fog up a tad. I did the same as you and took both lenses off, cleaned the lenses and reflectors up and re did the seals only to find as you have the seals made little to no difference and I still had a 'fogging' issue on occasions when very wet weather and lights on. So I thought a bit laterally and decided the seals were not sealing and tried a 3M door seal product instead. This stuff comes in rolls and is self adhesive and it happens to fit perfectly in the seam the RR headlights have. I didnt want to use silicones and glues that would make a mess of the lights either....so thats why this product was perfect! I put the white rubber seal strips around the grooved seals made sure there was no gaps put the lenses back and put the metal clips back on and hey presto ive never had a 'fogging' issue again. Anyway just another option for you to try.

Cheers

J

John McGhee
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, 04 March, 2013 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks James,

Just to clarify, is the 3M door seal actually white or did you use the 3M product and then put the white RR seals over the top of it??

Is it a foam type product or a rubber?

Mine haven't filled with water per se, just that fogging you refer to.

I confess I did find it a bit funny... all that effort and it is worse after than before!!

Thanks for your help.

John

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, 04 March, 2013 - 19:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm unsure about the various grades of clear silicone mastic having only used a couple in the past. However unless the one you use is meant for constant immersion (and most aren't) then you can remove it easily if slowly by keeping it under water for a couple of days. By that time it should have all but disintegrated into a soft gell that lifts off easily.

As for the door/window draught seal; Yes, I did mean the white foam stuf that comes on a roll and is only self-adhesive on one side. Depending on the conditions of use it might have the advantage of allowing any slight traces of moisture to escape from the headlights as the warm up in use.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, 06 March, 2013 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, it is a rubber weather sealing strip its not a foam kind of thing. Its completely waterproof and not like the 'gasket style' arrangement that goes hard after a time. The product comes in a few colours but of course white is what you require. I could not believe how well it worked and as I said it fits and sticks straight into the recess the lense sits in. Very important though, make sure the recess is very clean and the 6 metal clips that hold the lense on are tight...ie they must hold the lense firm and pull the lense and light assembly together tight to form a good seal on the rubber strip gasket. I know bunnings or Mitre 10 sell it in rolls for peanuts. Now Im not sure it was 3m...hmm could have been Raven Weather Seal Strips....but bunnings has is. Jan is correct its draught and weather seal strips self adhesive on one side only. If your recess is deep clean the gasket up and apply the weatherstrip ontop. Its important the lense is firm and tight on the rubber seal. Anyway it worked a treat for my Spirit. Let us know how you go John.

Cheers

John McGhee
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, 06 March, 2013 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fantastic, thanks James I will wheel her down to bunnings tomorrow and have a look.