Hoses for LHM fluid Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Hoses for LHM fluid « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

phil randall
Experienced User
Username: phil_randall

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 08 February, 2013 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

i am having a pair of steel braided teflon/PTFE flexible front brake hoses made for my 1990 turbo r at half the price of the standard hoses,
i will then be having made the 2 high pressure accumulator to chassis hoses for about £20 each instead of over £100, im now looking for some low pressure hose for the pump feed hoses.
am i right to think that nitrile hose is the thing to get?
thanks
phil

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 245
Posted on Saturday, 09 February, 2013 - 04:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Phil,

I would double check whether Buna-N (nitrile) is OK for mineral oil. I know that it's OK for petroleum based fluids.

Viton is definitely OK, but more expensive.

You also have the option of going with virtually any hose material that will stand up to the temperatures in the engine compartment if it's got a PTFE core. PTFE is chemically inert and OK as a carrier for any automotive fluid I'm aware of, including mineral oil. You might want to ask your shop that's making up the high pressure stuff what they'd recommend for "no pressure" gravity feed and/or return hoses for mineral oil.

Brian

phil randall
Experienced User
Username: phil_randall

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, 09 February, 2013 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,
ive now done a bit of resaerch but
i don't seem able to find a definitive hose compatibility chart,
however i have found a website called eFunda with a massive amount of engineering data, but it only has an o-ring chart...it shows that nitrile/buna n o-rings are compatible with mineral oil.
but i will do as you suggest and ask the chap that's making my hoses.
thanks
phil

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2770
Posted on Saturday, 09 February, 2013 - 18:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Use a standard transmission cooling hose. It is correctly reinforced to cope with underbonnet temperatures, is inexpensive, correct and easily sourced. Viton is generally a bad-news experiment anywhere automotive except in specific applications such as some oil seals.

You can find a materials compatibility chart in the Technical Library.

RT.