1991 Silver Spur II rough idle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 1991 Silver Spur II rough idle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

lee pfeifer
Yet to post message
Username: lee

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 06 February, 2013 - 14:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

im recomissioning this car. new battery, new fuel pumps, new filter.
car starts no problem, will idle for long periods perfectly, and sometimes the rpms drop and oil pressure will also drop slightly and check engine light will come on and car will die, of course if i press the gas pedal it wont die, on the street the car is a little hesitant under full throttle. i drove it 30kilometers , the car preformed good except it would do the low idle thing at a stop and might be rough to leave from a stop or it might die, however if i would pull over into a parking lot and sit for a few minutes, all would be fine again, what could this be? i did alot of these tests with only one fuel pump, i assumed that two new fuel pumps would be the cure, well it wasnt it acts the same with two fuel pumps as it did with one , but once it has warmed up a bit same symptoms arise. i also have new air filter, and fresh oil change "castrol 20w50".
thank you in advance

lee pfeifer
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 06 February, 2013 - 15:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

i am in the usa, and chassis number is 34076 ,

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, 07 February, 2013 - 01:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lee,

I don't know if readers here behave similarly to those on other RR/Bentley forums I frequent, but if they do they may not ever see your query.

Your post would be better placed in the Silver Spirit, Spur, & Bentley Derivatives section of the Technical Forum. I do not know if the moderator might be able to move it, but it can't hurt to ask (or else just re-post there and delete here).

Also, bless you for posting the chassis number. This can sometimes be quite critical in terms of formulating the correct advice.

Brian, who, unfortunately, doesn't have the advice you need for this issue

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, 07 February, 2013 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Lee,
Look at the following component on your car:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLLS-ROYCE-IDLE-AIR-VALVE-CONTROL-BOSCH-0280-140-515-SILVER-SPUR-90-/121029795815?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2df01fe7&vxp=mtr

take it off and give it a good clean with petrol or something like that. Put it back and then try the car.
Thanks
Omar

lee pfeifer
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 07 February, 2013 - 11:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
I will try that first thing in the morning, and report back.
Thank you,
Lee

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, 07 February, 2013 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Lee,
On Shadows and early Spirits, there is an oil pressure switch screwed into the oil filter housing. There are three sensors, in a row and the oil pressure sensor is the one furthest from the filter housing. I had a problem last year where my car, a Shadow 2, kept cutting out when the engine was warm. If I left it for 10 minutes or so, the engine would restart and run for a short time and then stop again. I traced the fault to a faulty oil pressure sensor. The sensor was wrongly reading that the oil pressure was too low and it switches off the fuel pumps as a precaution.If you pull the wire connector off the end of the sensor, this disables it and if the engine runs, that is your problem. The sensor simply screws into the oil filter housing and cost only £10 GB or so. Hope this helps.
Kind regards, Chris

lee pfeifer
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, 08 February, 2013 - 06:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
I removed air idle control valve , and cleaned it with de-natured alcohol, the throttle is 1000% more responsive. I'm sitting with it now letting it idle. So I will report back with final results .
Thank you,
Lee

lee pfeifer
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, 08 February, 2013 - 06:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris ,
I've read a lot about these 3 sensors and I've seen pictures , my car only seems to have 2 , I will examine more closely , and photograph as necessary. And Chris I have questioned the integrity of that sensor from the start of this project. The reason I question the sensor is because it is one of the few parts I have found plentiful.
Regards
Lee

lee pfeifer
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, 08 February, 2013 - 16:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
Perfect advice, I cannot thank you enough. If I knew exactly where that oil pressure sensor was located on the car I would replace it.
Thank You ,
Lee

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, 08 February, 2013 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Lee,
Thanks for the feedback.
Your next step is to know that the repair you have made may not work forever. If you get the slightest hint that its not working out, then buy a new part from Ebay. There are lots being sold (new) at any time, and they dont have to be RR/Bentley components. These are generic Bosch items.
Enjoy the car buddy - thats the whole idea of us owning them.

w. lee pfeifer
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 70.178.218.230
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 13:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

my silver spur II is freshly painted. With Omars help is idling better. i have lots of questions , rear differential fluid, what type? red button under dash , what is it? warning light area is partially lit but no warning indicator is actually on? check engine wants to come on when a/c is on and stopped at traffic light. my owners manual is in arabic and i need english? and i need to reset password for this forum. please. this is lee

(Message approved by david_gore)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 17:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

, rear differential fluid,

EP90 or thereabouts. newer multigrades are available and can be used if you have trouble finding straight EP90

what type? red button under dash , what is it?

central locking reset.

warning light area is partially lit but no warning indicator is actually on? Backlit until warning lighd comes on. pump the brake pedal with justthe ignition on.

check engine wants to come on when a/c is on and

possibly the idle valve again.

I might have a manual. what year? Otherwise ebay.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 17:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good advice from Paul as usual.
If your car is in the USA and you have a speedo in Km/h and a manual in Arabic I can imagine it may be difficult to read these items. One of my cars had the fusebox lables all written in Japanese but I was lucky enough to see that the Japanese label had been stuck onto the original standard English label. I peeled off the label and underneath were the plain English lables. I am not sure if that applies to your car or not. If it is not the case, send me photos of anything written in Arabic and I will translate them to you - Arabic is my mother-tongue.
Also if you prefer to have an MPH speedo, I am happy to exchange one of MPH speedos for a Km/h one with you.

w. lee pfeifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 14:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

please note my RR #34076 is a factory non cat car if this helps, and a cat was added.

w. lee pfeifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 14:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

help me and i will share what i have discovered. what ive learned will save everyone here money.

Ernest Carty
Experienced User
Username: edcarty

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 22:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wise words from Omar,sometimes cars supplied to other nations have the labels stuck over the originals.You say your car has had a Cat fitted perhaps the rest of the Engine management has not been updated to accept signals from the Cat and Lambor sensors ,this could cause erratic idling,with regard to the RED button is this not for resseting the Central locking system?I suggest you get a copy of Workshop manual this would then point you in the direction of symptons and fault rectification .Good luck and enjoy.

w. lee pfeifer
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.87.153.192
Posted on Wednesday, 04 September, 2013 - 04:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Red button is square and under dash at left knee area on a left hand steer car , at first I'm thinking this button may be part of reading codes thing ?
As to the cat on a non- cat car there isn't any info that I can find on the subject, I'm also understanding that non cat cars would not have a button to self diagnose . It's a motronic system. I really don't think it likes the cat. Any help would be great.

w. lee pfeifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, 04 September, 2013 - 11:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi ,
I'm back to report that I converted the A/C to R134A today at a cost of $235 .
I'm not sure what a mil spec number for EP90 would be ?
Mr Gore if you would like to email me racefsm@gmail.com I would be happy to share a bit of knowledge that I've learned and you can share it at your descression