Turbo R Front Suspension Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Turbo R Front Suspension « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel Parker
Experienced User
Username: trawler

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, 23 December, 2012 - 19:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gents,my 96 Turbo R front suspension is a bit low now and I suspect that the springs will need renewing.A friend suggested the Arnage ones as they are beefier.....Any comments from the experts????Also I suppose it makes sense to replace the dampers at the same time so any suggestions on which ones are a suitable replacement??/Any help gratefully received.
Brgds Nigel

Bernard Leloarer
Experienced User
Username: leloarer

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, 23 December, 2012 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel,
i've the same problem on my 97 turbo R but i've seen on the ietis a possibility to correct that with shims.
I'll try to do that when weather will be less cold ...
I don't think there is a correlation with dampers
Regards

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 906
Posted on Sunday, 23 December, 2012 - 20:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys,

Shims can be added but mainly as fine adjustment and will not normally raise a saggy car. Probably worth a try because it will free everything up if you do need to change the springs .

Many low front ends are caused by upper lever
bushes splitting and I would check them first especially if tyre edges are being worn quickly or the car seems to walk or jerk sideways in full lock maneuvers .

Azure springs possibly as an upgrade. . . , I can't imagine Arnage ones are suitable at all.

Leaking dampers will let them sag but if working ok I would let them run for now.

Nigel Parker
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, 23 December, 2012 - 21:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thks Paul.How much are springs and all the gubbins that goes with replacing them?????Cheers Nigel

Thks Bernard for your info.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, 24 December, 2012 - 04:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dera Nigel,
Paul's words of wisdom are true.
Now I am asking myself - why would such a modern car suffer weakened springs? My older cars are all good from a standing-height perspective.
Have a look at the bushes and shock absorbers before you embark on replacing springs.
These springs are very scary things to go near. I avoid them at all cost. Treat them as the last resort things to look at rather than the first.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 909
Posted on Monday, 24 December, 2012 - 09:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel, Pattern Azure springs are about £166 each.

What gubbins are you after? Nothing that is really needed except a split pin and I would replace the two rubber mountings at the top of the dampers.

You will probably need to adjust the damper ball joint (grease and remove a shim if necessary).

The biggest problem is the spring compressor and removal tools that are needed to do the job. These springs are compressed at about 600kg each so need to be treated with care. Tools can be hired or there are some homemade ones on this site or the tee-one.

From the cars that I have seen from H.K. the conditions take their toll on the bushes etc. so try and have a look at the bushes etc. as well.

Nigel Parker
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, 19 January, 2013 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok front springs and bushes replaced(thks Paul) and front now at a much better level,possible a tad high.Will see how the drive is before adjusting the rear.Thanks to all.Brgds Nigel

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 930
Posted on Saturday, 19 January, 2013 - 23:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's great news!

What condition were the bushes in ? just out of interest ?

Nigel Parker
Experienced User

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, 20 January, 2013 - 02:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Naff is how I would describe them.Not a pretty sight/Brgds Nigel

PS.My indie garage will probably be contacting you re spares as impressed with prices......

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, 25 January, 2013 - 14:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Further to this, many years ago when I first bought my 89 Turbo RL its standing height was wrong and the front too low for 2 reasons. The rear was not set correctly thus it was about 2 inches too high in the rear therefore forcing the front into a more squat position or stance, plus it had wrong tyres and yes I suppose the springs had dropped a bit. Now while I admit it actually looked a bit 'meaner" on the road with the nose down rear up attitude it did nothing wonderful for the cars actually very good orignal deportment handling.
I have since put on 265, 65 Toyos so the tyres fill the wheel arches a little more than the 255/55 Avons it would have had new. I had the rear levels re-set correctly to the right height for the car. The front springs were deemed ok by mechanic and a shim or two was put in each side at the front to give a bit more standing height at rest. I dont like the front too high and I have seen some Turbos going around with about 4-5 inches of height at front and I reckon it looks wrong....not to mention Id say it would be very light at fast speed!
I have replaced my cars Crewe Boge Shocks with new Bilstiens and wow what a diffence this makes plus I did all castor and cambor mounts, front end bushes and and the bushing in the control arms for good measure. Thus I have a fantastic handling car again considering its size and weight. I love peoples reactions when I 6take them for a spin they are blown away usually by the way these old brutes just drive so well and handle as good as they do, most people are astonished at they way a well set up Turbo will not only perform but handle. Then they look at the speedo and remark "hell your doing 180klms...it feels like 100....
These cars really need their suspension and especially front compliance throughly checked and sorted periodically, as bushes and the rubbers wear replaced them! Otherwise they wallow and crash about awfully.... not to mention premeturely wear tyres!
YOu will note the design of the body skirts and airdamns on 88MY and on Turbo cars were designed to pull the car down further on the road (yes the rear leveling does compensate for load and the car does level at speed however the airdam does force the car towards the road at speed, so the car can be set up for a few scenarios, the camber can be set for more town style driving ie wheels straight up and down for cars that do more town driving or for cars that do more highspeed motorway cruising more of an inboard camber can be achcived to give more directional control and feel at very high speed. I have had my Turbo set up for the later and can say its very comfortable and secure at a good cruising speeds of 160klms right up to its top speed of 240klms....but I of course dont know as I NEVER do more than the speed limit....
As for springs, yes of course these sag over time as they have a hell of a job to!
As Paul states before you look at springs make sure the front compliance is right, as stuffed bushes, shocks and mounts will make the car sag and handle like and old rattly bus....

J

Nigel Parker
Experienced User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, 05 March, 2013 - 20:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thks,well springs/bushes/compliance mounts all replaced and front now a tad high.However rear suspension being adjusted this week and then all should be well.Much nicer ride and no worries on the speed bumps.Thanks for all the info.
Brgds Nigel