SZ (maybe only late SZ) coolant tempe... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » SZ (maybe only late SZ) coolant temperature sensor & transmitter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2012 - 06:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,

For the '96-'97 model years IETIS shows the part number for the temperature sensor is UE71610 and the temperature transmitter is UE40361.

I've found references to both the VDO 320.002, paired with VDO Adapter 320.052 and the Bosch NTC-M12 transmitters as functional equivalents. Both of these, I've been told, are two-terminal transmitters while the original UE40361 is a single terminal transmitter.

If one can use either of the previously mentioned functional replacements, does it matter which terminal is used for the connection and, if so, how do you know which one?

If any other cross-referenced functional equivalent(s) exist please share them.

Brian

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 895
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2012 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, the correct ones can be bought for about £60 +vat for the pair of them.

They are such a pain to change on the later cars that you'll want to get them right first time!

Brian Vogel
Prolific User

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2012 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

Thanks for the input. I'm not actually doing this job but am trying to help someone else out.

I seem to recall various threads, many of which had contributions by Richard Treacy, that pretty directly stated that the OEM transmitters were, by comparison to some functional equivalents, quite failure prone. I don't have the background to confirm/refute, but I tend to trust Mr. Treacy pretty implicitly.

In any case, it never hurts to know what else can/does work for the day when the OEM part becomes made of unobtainium, which seems to be happening for quite a few SY and SZ parts these days.

Brian

Bernard Leloarer
Experienced User
Username: leloarer

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 08 December, 2012 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,
You write ;
For the '96-'97 model years IETIS shows the part number for the temperature sensor is UE71610 and the temperature transmitter is UE40361.

It's a mistake, there is an inversion between
the therm switch air inj syst and the coolant temp transmtr.

Have a look here -->http://www.rollsroyceforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1908

Brian Vogel
Prolific User

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, 08 December, 2012 - 12:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bernard,

I'm user name "guyslp" on rollsroyceforums.com and here, too. The information I've posted here and there are the same.

The temperature transmitter OEM part number is UE40361.

You're correct about the error on the IETIS page that you pulled up, and you've already picked up on that "over there."

Brian, who "gets around the RR forums of the world"

Bernard Leloarer
Experienced User
Username: leloarer

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, 08 December, 2012 - 18:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Brian, i'm confused

E.D.CARTY
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 92.23.114.215
Posted on Tuesday, 11 December, 2012 - 22:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi to all in Aus ,just have had a look at possible replacements for the temperature transmitter used on SY/SZ series cars,I found the following references.Interpart No52760,Delco7954972&SU7,Landrover623050,Lucas SNB103,Smiths A-TT03,TT-3803-00A,&WTT3.You may well only get certain replacements from Old /New Stock as some manufactuers are no longer trading.Please note these cross references are UK for the UE40361 Crewe part.Hope this helps}}

(Message approved by david_gore)

Ernest Carty
New User
Username: edcarty

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 20 December, 2012 - 21:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a quick update ,The thermostat as supplied by Crewe has issues,on researching suitable Antifreezes in the UK it became obvious that ALL CARS prior to 1995 MUST use IAT type,Cars 1995-97 can use a Comma Xstreme G48,1998 on can use Xstreme G40 apparently BUT CHECK FIRST.With regard to Thermostats sticking ,losing the lead pelletts,this could be linked to the use of the WRONG TYPE of ANTIFREEZE also this could in turn prove damaging to GASKETS including HEAD GASKETS on SZ series cars ie Bentley Turbo R.Plese pass this around and all feedback would be helpful to all .Cheers from UK ,A MERRY CHRISTMAS and All THE BEST FOR2013.}}