Turbo R door trims Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Turbo R door trims « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andy Torkington
Experienced User
Username: andytork

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 02 November, 2012 - 19:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Guys,

My door trims look nothing like the ones in the technical guides.

I want to take them all off for new door speakers and window tint.

Has anyone got a pointer to the correct guide for a 1988 Turbo R ?

Thanks

Andy

Andy Torkington
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, 05 November, 2012 - 05:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Got them off without any issues, not looking forward to putting them back on mind !

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Monday, 05 November, 2012 - 06:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Andy - would you please post a description of how you removed [and replaced] them for posterity.

The lack of response suggests you are the first to have experienced this problem. No doubt more owners will face this problem as the cars age and require attention.

phil randall
Experienced User
Username: phil_randall

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, 05 November, 2012 - 23:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Andy have you considered using some sound deadening in the doors while you have the trims off?
when i changed the speakers in my turbo r a couple of years ago i put some silent coat vibration damper on the inside of the door skins with silent coat 4mm isolator on top of it.
it reduced the cabin noise quite significantly and will also improve the sound quality of your speakers because the damping reduces the vibration of the doorskin.
cheers
phil

Andy Torkington
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2012 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will be re-assembling at weekend,

I have just received a package of 20sqft of 7mm sound insulation (foil and foam) that I entend doing to the doors. The rest of the car has so much insulation its not even funny.

I have managed to get 6.5" focal speakers into the door with a little effort.
much easier in the front doors (I only had to trim a couple of mm from the side of the speakers)

I have run new speaker wire through the body / doors, was much easier than I thought using nothing more than long cable ties to push wires through the various exisiting cable routes. Also have 3x pairs of RCA's and a remote wire going from head unit to boot.

I have a couple of class AB amps hanging around, so will be a subtle, but high quality audio upgrade

Should be done by end of the weekend if my last few bits arrive, will post pics when done

Andy