Changing Thermostat Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Changing Thermostat « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel Parker
Experienced User
Username: trawler

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, 29 October, 2012 - 20:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Experts,I need to change the thermostat on my 96 Turbo R,I did ask the dealer and they said have to remove the intercooler and may need to change the hoses/one way valves and solenoid vlv boost control x 2.Any of you experts done this before and is it so complicated??????Cheers Nigel}}}

Chris Buckenham
Experienced User
Username: chris_buckenham

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, 29 October, 2012 - 23:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Nigel ,
I have done the head gaskets on my 96 Turbo R this summer and I think that the only way into the thermostat is to take the inter cooler ( charge cooler ) off . It does not take that long once you have done it a couple of times . The hoses on the boost control solenoids can harden and need replacing . One of mine had cracked/sheared right off at some point .

Regards
Chris

Nigel Parker
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, 30 October, 2012 - 03:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thks Chris,were the bigger hoses ok and the solenoid valves?????Cheers Nigel

Chris Buckenham
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, 30 October, 2012 - 04:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Nigel ,
When you say the bigger hoses , do you mean the ones that take the coolant from the electric pump to the intercooler ? These are just fairly standard automotive water hose from what I can see and were in very good condition on my car . There are two other hoses / pipes on the intercooler system that join it to the turbo side of things . One is about two inches in diameter and is a bypass hose ? Single walled thing without fabric reinforcement that had hardened fairly well . It goes through 90 degrees and I will shortly replace mine and then a lower hose of about three inches in diameter that goes to the turbo and is effectively the air intake hose . On mine that is a fabric reinforced hose and it was in good shape . Actually I forgot about the third connection which is the intercooler to throttle body . I think that was a reinforced hose and about five inches in diameter . Mine was good . The pipes to the solenoids had all become fairly had and I replaced most of it .
To be honest that intercooler is a bit of a pain but not really that difficult to remove , I reckon I can get mine off in fifteen minutes . There are no covers on the engine at the moment while I get all of the issues that have surfaced as a result of the head gasket job sorted .
Best regards
Chris

Nigel Parker
Experienced User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, 02 November, 2012 - 13:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thks Chris,got a load of hose part nos and solenoid vlvs from the dealer with some horrendous prices so was just checking to see if necessary to purchase specialized hoses or just standard auto hoses etc.
Will advz in due course.cheers

Chris Buckenham
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, 02 November, 2012 - 18:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Nigel ,
From what I can see the larger diameter hoses connecting the intercooler are quite specific even though there are people about that sell that size of hose that you could then cut to size but it would be a bit of a pain to get looking correct .
On the matter of the solenoid hoses I think that you could comfortably use standard automotive vacuum hose of the correct diameter , which is a bit larger than I have found on various other vehicle . Need to have a quick look but I think it is a good eighth of an inch .
By the way do you know how to get the black plastic trim around the headlights off without damaging it ?

Nigel Parker
Experienced User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, 04 November, 2012 - 19:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thks Chris,got my indie to do the job as no garage and did not need most of the hoses.Thks for all the advice.Brgds Nigel