Console mod for double din radio, ide... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Console mod for double din radio, ideas please ! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andy Torkington
Experienced User
Username: andytork

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, 22 October, 2012 - 12:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Guys, below is an image of my console.

I want to add a dual din stereo / sat nav to my 1988 Turbo R

I want to remove the clock, battery and outside air temp gauge, I have a read bits about this and think I need to remove the seat squabs, main dashboard wood etc

has anyone done this before or can give me any pointers, of course I will need to make a panel to fit.

Ideally I would like a piece of matching veneer to cover it around where I cut the hole. Failing that I smal piece of leather (does anyone know where I can source such a piece cheaply around Melbourne ?)

Option #2 does anyone know a good trimmer (ideally melbourne again) who could build the whole thing for me

Any ideas / help appreciated

Console

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Monday, 22 October, 2012 - 12:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have rotated image for easier viewing:

console

Andy Torkington
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, 22 October, 2012 - 13:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I couldn't upload it that way, it said it exceeded the sizes

(thanks for the fix)

Dave Puttock
Experienced User
Username: ariel

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, 22 October, 2012 - 22:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Making small flat panels like this is pretty easy, I used 6mm & 4mm birch ply laminated together and bought walnut veneer on ebay when I fitted a double DIN to my shadow.
If you don't use your ashtray you might consider squeezing the clock and temperature gauge in there, and you might put the battery meter in the panel above by spreading the warning lamps or switches.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, 23 October, 2012 - 18:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Andy,

Probably this is not the reply to your question, but I was also considering some time ago, fitting a DIN2 multimedia receiver in my Continental R.

I opted (in case that this interests you, otherwise disregard...) for a high-end (fully new) DIN 1 sound system (Pioneer DEXP99R, fully active system, cross overs are pre-amp,) which fits nicely in the car dash style and a discreet, permanent 7" tablet docking station, which provides navi, stereo and high speed internet in situ.

I found this combination perfect, because the high-end audio system has a life span of many years, but this set up allowed me to re-new the gadgets (tablet) regularly (1-2 years). It also allows you to program the tablet (destinations and so on) by hand, removing it from the docking station which is perfect.

A Galaxy 7.7 fits exactly in situ.

Audio quality is excellent as the DEX P99R has specific I-pod and USB based decompression algorithms.

Best regards

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, 23 October, 2012 - 23:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When looking at your pictures I couldn't help but wonder why an 88 car already has the 4 speed transmission...was it a retrofit? If you cannot source the right leather locally, I could send you a piece of parchment coloured Connolly leather for free.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, 24 October, 2012 - 16:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

yes I too was wondering why an 88' model has the floorshift instead of column mounted....odd but actually looks good and certainly retro fit which btw looks very good. I see its been adjusted for the 3 speeds your car has. Sorry doesnt answer your question but just caught my eye....

J

Andy Torkington
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, 24 October, 2012 - 16:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

yes,

Its adjusted for the 3 speed. According to a couple of experts that mod is not uncommon
Bought it like that, seller said it was factory, I said 'no'. not listed on the order sheet etc

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 347
Posted on Wednesday, 24 October, 2012 - 17:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Andy I can second the motion for the single-DIN Pioneer unit with the updatable peripherals.

My 8-track was in in the boot of my Shadow I when I got it; replaced with an OK but ordinary head unit.

I replaced that with the Pioneer P88Rs (the model below the one recommended above) because I wanted to avoid having an amplifier, because it was the best quality and because the symmetrical lines and minimalist style perfectly suited the dash - as does the P99R series.

All sorts of little black boxes can be daisy-chained to it to give hands free phone (cutting out the stereo and coming through the speakers), bluetooth, USB, etc. which enables no visible aftermarket cords dangling all over your console!

If the P99R has plug and play tablet for GPS I'd definitely go with it.

Almost any motor trimmer will do you a leather surround in any case, and dye it to match. Otherwise use any light leather with a similar grain and dye it yourself with Leatherique.

For a (bookmatched!) walnut surround in Melbourne contact Carwood/Jags'r'us:

http://www.jagsrus.com.au/

cheers,

Jeff

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, 24 October, 2012 - 18:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Uhhh,

P88RS, that is a nice head unit indeed...

I just wanted to point out, that with such a set up, your input unit becomes the tablet not the head unit which is only turned into USB or Aux-in, depending on what you want to do. So there is no need to buy bluetooth modules and so on, the Ipad mini or the Galaxy 7.7 have everything built in.

My (personal-individual-unique and relative) opinion, was that the DIN-2 modules would be a lot more difficult to update than a tablet, in terms of sound quality, a fully active system with new speakers and external amps is rather impressive.

The looks of the P88 and P99 are marvellous indeed.

Good luck with updating the system.

Lluís

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, 24 October, 2012 - 19:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Indeed Lluis - all my little 88 black boxes are now incorporated inside the 99.

The 'amplifier' unit which attaches to the 99 is (I think) a DIN sized unit anyway and therefore there is plenty of room for it anywhere in the cabin.

Every time you update a headunit these days it seems to have already been superseded by the time you've done the wiring let alone the trimming!

Back in the (very, I'm afraid) old days the best advice I ever received about home stereo was to buy a top of the range amplifier and just update the tape deck/turntable/speakers as needed. In car terms that means a good flexible headunit.

Andy - did you have a particular 2-DIN unit in mind? It would save a lot of wiring etc - even if you don't go for the Pioneer - to consider a single DIN with fold-out screen.

Just a suggestion - I spent years wasting time and money getting mine just so before I discovered there's a whole classic car industry out there in Google-land dealing with the same issues.

Niclas Olovsson
New User
Username: nicce

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, 26 October, 2012 - 02:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lluís,

Your sound system set-up sounds interesting, any change that you could post a picture of the installation?

Cheers, Niclas

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, 26 October, 2012 - 18:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sure,

Sometime this week end.

Lluís

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, 29 October, 2012 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Let us see:

This would be the center console. Instruments and ventilation are all there, just behind the tablet.

I control it through the head unit in usb mode, the rest of the apps are accessible on the main menu as usual, but this is tablet dependent.

The Samsung is better, I was taking the picture with it, so this one is a bit of a fake as I do not use the Archos.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, 29 October, 2012 - 05:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And this is the amplification unit, as ESX 4 channel and the two original alpines, one reserve one powering the twitters.

I like it a lot and would only like to have a mini-sub woofer for a little extra low-tones.

Lluís

Niclas Olovsson
New User
Username: nicce

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, 30 October, 2012 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Lluís!

I like the set up!

Cheers, Niclas

Andy Torkington
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, 02 November, 2012 - 19:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My console mod is going well.

Found lots of horrific wiring from what I suspect was a cellphone installer from the 90's

Big black wires that are +12v etc

Removed most of the after market wiring and now rebuilding

Will post pics when done.

Currently back seat is out, console is out.

Andy

Andy Torkington
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 07 November, 2012 - 21:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found a square / rectangle switch hanging around under the console. I assume this previously lived between the mirror controls. Which is where the relocated cigarette lighter lives now (Which must have been done as part of the floorshift mod.)
Could this be the "rear window inhibitor" switch, or is it something else ? My rear windows have never worked from the rear, only the drivers door switches and I have tested a microswitch at the back and its fine

I managed to make the mods without doing any permanent changes. I unbolted the gauges and standard stereo surround. This left me with a huge void. I cut some aluminium angle and made two brackets that mounted using the original screws & holes. To this I modified the double din brackets (shaving 1/2 cm of their width to fit the new opening). Then using 4 tek screws mounted the two brakets together. I can now remove the unit from the front, all I need to do now is make a filler panel to push fit from the front

This was I have preserved the original parts incase I want to return it to stock

Andy

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 285
Posted on Saturday, 10 November, 2012 - 00:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Please do post photos, it's always interesting to see how interiors come appart without damaging them.

Lluís

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, 12 November, 2012 - 12:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

it is indeed your rear window inhibit switch. thats what i suddenly remembered was not in the phtos of your console. flick it and see if they miraculously work from the rear switches Andy.

ohh btw, I PM you, did u not recieve it?

J

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2716
Posted on Thursday, 15 November, 2012 - 18:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

BTW, I have the 4-speed in my Conti R of course. I am considering retrofitting a column change. I just need to find a panel to blank off the horrible floor change bits.

Column change: all at your fingertips like a modern car, light and easier to use. Less clutter on the console. Flick your little finger to control the transmission instead of diving for the console like a 1960’s Dodge.

The stalk is already there for the cruise control, so the mod on the column will constitute just the microswitch assembly and a wiring loom from a Silver Spirit.

Even though the floorchange is electrically actuated it feels clunky like a mechanical one in a cheap car.

You got it: I do feel it a step forward when I drive my T-Series or Turbo R with the superb electric column changes !!

RT.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, 15 November, 2012 - 23:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

In case you do this I may copy. I also felt the Corniche much classier.

Lluís