Wipers on Turbo RT Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Wipers on Turbo RT « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Hicks
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Need some Help Wipers have packed up on My Turbo RT
The mechanism on the top of the Motor that rotates to push and pull the wipers has sheared the centre pin any ideas on what this is off or a fix that some body has done
Thanks Michael

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael/ These mechanisms were very poor in materials, design and construction. For other owners, if you want to check just grab a wiper arm and swish it from side to side; there should be very little 'loose' movement any more and you should prepare for trouble..

The early SZ cars used Australian Prestolite motors which performed very well but apparently the colonial tag surfaced and they switched to motors from somewhere which equated to those fitted to a personal toilet fan albeit two speed. These were fitted to my '84 Spur. When it rained I used to check that no-one was watching and hope that there was enough moisture on the screen to allow the things to actually move.

In desperation I bought a motor on eBay that 'looked right' and God did the right thing because after a bit of plug switching I then had wipers that did the old girl proud. Then the bloody link wore out. Fair dinkum, I started to mutter about porcines in pokes I can tell you!

The Factory I understand, brought out a modification for the link problem, the cost of which rivalled that of the Imperial Orb. I have never seen it (the mod that is). The bit(s) that usually fail are the swivel joints. These are readily available commercially and can be welded into the link system. In fact your car may have the extraordinary plastic versions of these links which appeared for a while apparently as a cost cutting exercise.

I covered this a few issues back in a rag I write called Tee One Topics which accumulate on this web site. It may be of interest!

Michael Hicks
Frequent User

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The bit(s) that usually fail are the swivel joints. These are readily available commercially and can be welded into the link system.
Thanks for that
Are they available from Bentley or some where else
Thanks Michael

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 867
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do check the wiper spindles. many problems. in the linkages and motors are due to the spindles semi seizing.

take the arm and rubber off god check below for signs of rust.

They can be striped, freed out and lubricated . Carefully remote the C clip, washer and oring.

Then spray with wd 40 until rust free them spray grease. leave to set and more grease.

If you do it with the wipers running the spindle will move up and down (alarmingly) cleaning itself and working the grease into the whole spindle. It will be almost impossible to turn by hand .

perhaps drill the wiper motorspindle and put a sin in to secure it. get it in the right position first.

There is also I
an anti judder pivot that gets dry in the centre of the linkage. not so often though.

Sorry if this is what you covered Bill. Doing this mobile atm .

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, be assured I have no lien over information particularly with yourself who would have teethed on these problems. Apart from my experience, I was present at our midlands garage recently when a Bentley 8 had this problem. Very interesting. Your lube approach sounds great. This is not such a problem here as we usually don't pickle our roads as you people do!

For Michael. The joints are named Rose Joints and are manufactured in the UK. Google them for their background. Seems they are a German invention originally for aircraft control rods. In the States they are known as Heim Joints. Both names come from the firms in the respective countries that took on the manufacture.

Mr Google will list several suppliers in your country.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2684
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 11:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

The bit(s) that usually fail are the swivel joints. These are readily available commercially and can be welded into the link system.

Yes, they are common German rubbish. They used to wear out on my BMWs all the time and fall off, usually on the Autobahn at high speed. Nasty. The nylon bushes wear out, and so do the steel ball posts.

For my Turbo R I have replaced the linkages, nylon joints and steel ball posts by proper industrial-grade ball ends and rods with threaded ends, just like undersized steering linkages and tie rod ends. They can never fail. The old nylon bushes on the car were OK, but I could see that they would fail sometime soon. There are worse things, but losing the wipers when blasting down the highway is no fun at all.

Most importantly, the wiper gearbox is filled with grease. After 20 years it all goes hard and the wipers barely move until they have run for a minute or so. The repair is easy: remove the wiper motor-gearbox assembly, then take off the gearbox cover and repack it with fresh light-grade grease. I have done that on my Conti R and two Turbo Rs in the past weeks. After this simple maintenance the wipers work as they should for a long time.

RT.

Michael Hicks
Frequent User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 18:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi and thanks
It is the centre pin that has snapped
I managed to get her home last night and will take it off today and have a look
I will strip the wiper mechanism as suggested and yes Rose joint’s why didn't I think of that
Thanks

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 868
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 19:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael, Is it the motor spindle that has broken? Not sure what you mean by the 'pin'

I may have a couple of dead motors that the we may be able to salvage the gear and spindle from?

Like most things on there cars . . . lubrication is the key to longevity.

Get stripping if you find anything like this.

All the joints and pivots are sitting in a damp and dirty environment being washed in grease cutting screen wash and car wash detergent. Not ideal. Rose joints, without covers in particular, like to be well lubricated.

Michael Hicks
Frequent User

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thanks Paul
it is the swivel on the arm on top of the motor
i have ordered 2 in Stainless steel
had the problems with motors just replace them with rover 100 ones there the same and only cost £10.00

Michael Hicks
Frequent User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, 05 October, 2012 - 23:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

well got the Rose Joints today 4m SS ones off to get some SS threaded bar and then fit it so i can drive it again

Graham Burn
New User
Username: graham

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 26 June, 2013 - 18:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On my car 87 Turbo R the wipers park quite high on the screen in between sweeps when on intermittent wipe, is this normal, if not can it be adjusted, a PO obviously didn't like it so set the wipers lower on the spindles but this resulted in them parking against the grill panel below the screen.
When parked in the final rest position the blades are parallel to the grill panel a little over an inch away.
Graham

Graham Burn
Experienced User
Username: graham

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, 26 September, 2013 - 07:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul, just done your fix on the wiper spindles, made a big difference to the wipers, they were juddering on the glass before and noisy now they're just smooth and silent.
Graham