Turbo R Problem Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Turbo R Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel Parker
Experienced User
Username: trawler

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2012 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Driving happily along with the wife when the engine just dies.........Managed to get to the side of the road while wrestling the steering.Got Trac Fault and chk gearbox msgs.Tried to restart and although the engine starts it dies immediately.Bugger me I thought I am stuck on the expressway now.However after about 10 mins it all comes good with normal start and off we go.Happens again after around 30 mins.Same problem and same fix after 10 mins.However have now left her at the place I was going as did not want to risk getting stuck in some tunnel here in Hkg.Anyone got any ideas??????Cheers Nigel

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 398
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2012 - 19:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Almost certainly heat related. I would check that the fuel system isn't overheating through the loss of a heat shield causing a vapour lock.

Another thought comes to mind: Have you changed the fuel filter recently? If not, it could be beginning to block. If you have, it could be a faulty filter element.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 863
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2012 - 19:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel,

I bet the happily with. the wife didn't last long with the car misbehaving !

I'm guessing its quite a late car and suspect the warnings were just due to the non running engine.

I would try changing the fuel pump relay and the engine management relay. both next to the right hand front springs plate in the engine bay. a map is on the underside of the cover. be aware that they are "special" and not interchangeable with the others. I always keep a couple in stock.

Also check for over heated fuses (not as likely on late cars) .

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2682
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2012 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It may sound silly, but is the charging system fully functional ? If the system voltage goes low, at around 10 Volts the first thing to go AWOL is the gearbox with "Check Gearbox" showing proudly on the screen, then the other ECUs slowly shut down in turn, all long before the starter stops functioning. After a rest, the battery recovers and all is apparently well for a spell until it all comes on again.

This is just a bit of recent embarrasment when I bumped an electrical plug on the alternator when routinely fitting new drive belts to my Conti R. With the plug pressed home in a second once I found the error after a few such horrid shutdowns, the alternator revived and there were no more issues.

RT.

Nigel Parker
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2012 - 23:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thks Gents,yes my suspicions run along similar lines to a fuel/heat problem.
Yes her indoors was not so happy for awhile there.
As its Mid-Autumn Festival here will have to wait till Wed to get a tow to the garage.
Will advz in due course any findings.cheers

Nigel Parker
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, 05 October, 2012 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The dealer has found that it was the anti theft alarm causing the intermittent fault+ heart attacks......However they say its a aftermarket fit.My build history paperwork however shows a anti theft alarm 315Mhz being fitted at factory so will see what they say.They did sort of mumble about bypassing.........
Cheers to all from sunny Hkg.

Nigel Parker
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, 12 October, 2012 - 01:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok apparently dealer fitted a aftermarket ECu on the alarm in 2009 due door lock problems...........So either a new ECU from the USA at Euro 5400 or bypass immobilizer circuit at Euro 340.......Yeh I know cheap charlie.Everything else works fine and I also changed the fuel filter and engine management relays...Anyway so far all works well.Thanks to all for suggestions.brgds Nigel