Fan Belt Squeal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Fan Belt Squeal « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Frequent User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, 23 August, 2012 - 19:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello James, and your question as to why the belts screech a bit is what's bothering me! They are tight and don't appear particularly old, and I have been advised to leave aircon stuff to aircon people. The system works fine apart from this slippage (which my tin of Stuff has stopped). The compressor grumbles to itself - at idle its louder than the engine - and I'm trying not to think about it ...

Engine stopped? Why didn't I think of that ...

Stay well

Rod

Laurie Fox
Frequent User
Username: laurie_fox

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, 23 August, 2012 - 19:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Belt screeching. Always seems to be caused by some deterioration of the belt and there seems to be nothing which can be done which can stop the belt screeching for any length of time.

New belts vary enormously in respect of how long they take to get to the screech stage. Some get there in 2000 miles and others never get there.

On B420EY (MK VI) wrapped fan belts seem to do best. I have found some recently after being unsuccessful for many years.

Laurie

Roderick Waite
Frequent User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2012 - 02:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Laurie - wrapped fan belts? Is that a method of construction? It vaguely suggests that they may stretch?

Stay well

Rod

Laurie Fox
Frequent User
Username: laurie_fox

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2012 - 04:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod

Here is a picture of a new wrapped fan belt for B420EY (MK VI).

A wrapped fan belt

Thin fabric is applied towards the end of the manufacturing process. This C46 belt came from www.bearingshop.co.uk at a price of £4.60 which is more attractive than the Introcar price of £28.50 for the "correct" belt which is probably unwrapped. The original belts were wrapped in the early days but are always very stiff, even now. The C46 belt illustrated is significantly more flexible which helps when fitting it and leads to less load on the pump and dynamo bearings.

Laurie

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, 23 August, 2012 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod, I really dont have to tell you do I re the mess everwhere......next time do it with the engine off man!!! lol.

I use a bit of belt lube on occasion to stop the slight squeaky rotation noise the belts make when they are cold. Why are your belts making 'frightening screeches' mate? a few possibilities come to mind, belts are not tensioned enough and thus slipping, or maybe the clutch in the compressor is going, or are the belts due for replacement?
.....quick test though for belt tension, look at them as they rotate, if there is not enough tension they will squeal and if they 'wobble' up and down while driving the compressor they are too loose. They should have about 1-2cm of give in them when pressing your thumb in the middle of the run if you know what I mean. Im sure this has been explained in Tee One topics somewhere.

glad to hear she's running well.

J