Fuel gauge sender - '84 Spirit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Fuel gauge sender - '84 Spirit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Frequent User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2012 - 02:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello to all, back again with another question - I seem to have an endless supply! 3 years ago, I fitted a new fuel gauge sender unit as the original packed up. The new one came in a Crewe box and the correct part number, but it was not the same as the one I took out. The old one had two spade connectors for live and return, and the third (earth) wire had a round hole connector that fitted under one of the mounting screws.

The new unit has three spade connectors, all the same size, and no identifying marks. We figured out which was live and return, so the remaining one must have been earth - but the only place for it was the remaining spade. So we changed the connector to a female spade, and fitted it. I have no idea how it's earthed.

The gauge works fine - but the 'low fuel' warning light on the dash panel now doesn't work. It's on very, very dimly, all the time. Can anyone throw some light on this, please?

Thank you as always ... stay well

Rod Waite

Neville Davies
Experienced User
Username: nev_davies

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2012 - 02:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roderick. I can't vouch for the one you have but the normal connection set up with what you describe is gauge slate/green to the top connection.Black earth to the middle one and the warning light on the bottom.Your problems must nearly be at an end.

Nev

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2012 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow Nev! I'll be grovelling in the boot again asap, looks like Sunday at the moment ... many thanks to you! I couldn't make out why the spades aren't marked - I suppose to frustrate us amateurs ... my mechanic friend Frank thinks the new sender is a Volkeswagen part!

Stay well

Rod

Peter Talbot
Prolific User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, 28 August, 2012 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod

Had the same problem with my 1986 Spirit last year so checked out cable continuity. The earth connection non-functional, traced it through and found conductor break just near to the terminal - sorted and all is well.

Peter

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, 29 August, 2012 - 17:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Peter - does your unit have 3 spade connectors, or is it the type where the earth is fixed under one of the mounting bolts? I've still not got round to it, principally because I almost filled the tank a week ago, which means I'll need to cover about 250 miles before the low fuel light will begin to work anyway. Currently I've done just 76!

Stay well

Rod

Peter Talbot
Prolific User

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, 30 August, 2012 - 09:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod

The earth is via crimped on round terminal fitting secured under mounting bolt. Going through the service history of my 1986 Spirit, I can find no reference to the unit ever being replaced so presume it original.

Peter

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, 01 September, 2012 - 17:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning Peter, and that's exactly what Echo had originally ... still haven't looked at the terminals as I'm still only up to 90 miles on the odometer and I need to get to 250 - could take a while! I average maybe 60 miles a week on 2 or 3 trips out. A friend here also has a 1986 Spirit, and is panicing because he can't select any gear - I just started a new thread about it ... have you had any such problem?

Stay well

Rod

Peter Talbot
Prolific User

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, 03 September, 2012 - 01:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod - Greetings from Westerham

If you still have the original it might be worth checking out the earth continuity then try putting it back into service. These original items were built to a very high specification.

As regards your new Thread re selecting gear: no problems experienced on my 1986 Spirit so can't comment.

Regards Peter