Black smoke on even light acceleratio... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Black smoke on even light acceleration when warm « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 23:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi there,

You probably read my cold idle woes... hear hear what I have to say...

I now have a beautiful cold idle... and then pffff... today at full acceleration tons of black smoke and poor performance. The problem is repeated at lower load.

Something is definitely wrong with my Engine Management System. The problem came up today without warning, otherwise, as you have probably followed, the engine was running incredibly strong.

I am starting to wonder whether an Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor can cause all this trouble.

For the safety I ordered an O2 sensor, which must be bad (not the best) anyway after 50000 miles and I will get the Coolant Temperature sensor tomorrow morning.

The day after tomorrow I wanted to take her on holiday... I guess it will be the old faithful Jaguar.

Can an ECTS fail intermittently, or am I just hoping?

See you,

Lluís

Michael Hicks
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2012 - 00:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will most probably have another monitor have a go at me but I am British and not bothered
You need to take it to some body near you that can read the motronic fault codes as your just spending Money and not going on Holiday
There is a time and a place to play and this isn’t it as you will have piston wash
Yes it could be your coolant sensor and yes it could be the ECU but don’t think so
You need to get the car to a bosch dealer he should have a rig to check the ECU For fault codes and then go and fix it
Not a lot of help but the best help and car back on the road Happy

richard george yeaman
Frequent User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2012 - 01:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Lluis.
Park your car in your garage, Pack you luggage into your Jaguar,make sure you have your Passport and Money and have a bloody good holiday.

Cheers.

Richard.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2012 - 09:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lluis sounds like its running waaaaay too rich. coolant temp sensor could be an issue and sending incorrect instructions to ECU. does it come off high/cold idle?? ie does it drop to 650rpm after a little while after warming up? Im suspecting as others have your temp sensor maybe playing up. Reading your post it sounds like way too much autochoke is being used. You know how to interrogate the motronic, its not hard, have a go and see what the fault codes say. Or indeed take the car as Michael suggests to a Bosch agent have give them a look.
But what you must not fail to do is go on holidays. Bugger the car, as Richard suggets, dont beat yourself up, take the Jag.
Have good one and enjoy mate.

Cheers

J

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2012 - 18:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear all,

Thank you so much for the suggestions.

I will make it short, while doing all the bosst maintenance in other topics, as well as dealing with an oil leakage, as well as dealing with the cold idle issue I had, I dismantled the intake.

Well, look for the obvious first, the huge pipe running from the intercooler to the intake elbow was not tightened and when the engine came on pressure (2000rpm) it was pumping air out, the fact that yesterday I notice that the Temperature gauge was not working (separate unit) made me worry.

After putting the elbow back in place and tightening, I tanked fresh fuel.
Still a puff of black smoke under acceleration at cold, this morning and made a 1 hour drive combined city/highway, no black smoke what so ever.

I have a new coolant temperature sensor with me anyway now I will get hopefully soon the oxygen sensor, which I will replace as a maintenance item after holidays.

In case that I feel relaxed, I will probably put back the gauge sender connection in the sensor tonight, it's a pain to get to under the elbow.

In case that anything of this does not make sense, please do say it.

By the way, the check engine signal did not light up.

Lluís