Headlamp trim on Mulsanne/Silver Spirit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Headlamp trim on Mulsanne/Silver Spirit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Livermore
Experienced User
Username: livermoreb

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2012 - 20:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 1981 Bentley Mulsanne with the oblong headlamps. Around the headlamps there is a chrome trim or moulding held on with plastic clips. These have two harpoon style prongs which clip into slots on the rear of the chrome trim.

Inevitably after 30+ years, these have become brittle and several of mine are broken. I am told by Flying Spares that they are no longer available and that the only solution is to fit the newer type of moulding and the new style clips, which are available. This is of course quite an expensive option and I wondered if anyone had come up with a cheaper solution to the problem. At present my trim is held on with cable ties - not ideal as you might imagine.

PETER HYLAND
New User
Username: peter_hyland

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 02 December, 2012 - 22:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just discovered my '82 Spirit is suffering with the same brittle/broken plastic clips (x5 on each h'light surround).
I have removed one of the chrome surrounds before it falls off!
Off to a local "Speciality Fasteners" guru tomorrow.
I have removed one to "show & tell" - and they don't look a RR specialty - so fingers crossed - I will report further.

Chers
Peter Hy

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, 03 December, 2012 - 07:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have the same problem with my 1982 Spirit. Trim is stuck on with silicone sealant ! Not the nicest of methods.
Mark

PETER HYLAND
New User
Username: peter_hyland

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 24 March, 2013 - 18:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quoting from IntroCar blurb - "Prior to VIN 7235 (approx) the headlamp finisher had a round hole to accept the retaining clip UB40373 which mounted to the front wing using clip SPM1525. UB40373 are no longer available...."
I'll contact one of the RR wreckers to see if I can have some UB clips salvaged.

Roderick Waite
Frequent User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, 01 April, 2013 - 22:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just had this problem with my '84 Spirit, having stove in the left-hand park/turn light lens. Took off the headlamp wash/wipe blade, then a couple of screws to remove the wide lower chrome trim strip, and we could remove what was left of the lens (screws top and bottom). It was not necessary to remove the headlamp trim. Fitted the new lens and reassembled. Noted that this is the only way to replace either of the bulbs!

Rod
'84 Spirit