Air pump question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Air pump question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2012 - 00:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear all,

My airconditioning compressor in #52020 is starting to have bearing play, so a replacement is due. No problem, it's life.

I disconnected the air pump belt in the process of removal of the compressor just to find out that I will not get to fit the new compressor until mid July.

Can I drive with the air pump disconnected? I am just soooo lazy that I wanted to avoid fitting the belt to remove it again in a few weeks.

Any dangers? Will the cats melt? I just started it today and found it to actually sound better without this anciallary...

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2012 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

often wondered that myself Lluis, my air pump is a bit noisy or clattery on dead cold start up. ONce engine is warm its all silent and fine. This doesnt answer your question I know but from this feeble minded Turbo motorist, its there for a reason, mostly emmisions control I believe by pumping air into the exhaust system however if its not running and you drive the car.....hmmm id hate to do damage to the Cats...they are frightfully expensive I hear.

J

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2012 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

as in the engaging clutch rattles a tad is my meaning of clattery....funny it only happens if dead cold. Once warm nothing.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2012 - 23:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

I suspect it is actually the V-Belts. Same on my Turbo R with no air pump as on the Conti with all the hoo-ha. Clattery for a short while when cold, but always silent for a month or so with new V-belts from Mr Gates. Belt lubricant helps for a week or so at a time.

I doubt whether the cat would suffer without the air pump, but am unwilling to try. I must say that the Conti uses about 10% more fuel than my non-cat, no air pump, no fuss Turbo R.

Progress.

RT.